1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick oil paint job.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by qunndo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Hello everyone,

I have a streamer lx that i bought a couple of years ago in a red stain. I didn't realise at the time, but the oil stain has experienced a heap of scratching and buckle rashing.

I like the bass, although i am trying some other options at the moment as well. I may sell the bass in the future- but thats not the primary reason for wanting to fix it up.

What do you think is best. My options as i see them are
    1. Touch up the bass with the warwick red stain (how hard is it to get the stain).
    2. Sand down the bass and stain it in a natural oil with a darker finish.
    3. Do a oil stain but put a lacquer or other finish over the top to avoid whats happened already.

Its really a huge shame because this was my first relatively expensive bass. All the others i had never really showed the signs of wear that this has, and i just want it to reflect a bit better what a great instrument it is.

I appreciate any responses.

Regards

Ben

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Option 1--I doubt you could buy that exact stain Warwick used and since the stain on the bass has probably changed colour with age a new application would probably not match exactly. You could make up your own using water based dye stains and get a close match if you know what you're doing. You'd have to sand out any scratches and reapply the stain to avoid the scratches showing. Then oil the bass using some form of oil/varnish blend. Lots of work but you could get it back to like new condition. This is not just a "touch up". A touch up would have the scratches showing and wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Option 2--Pretty well the same as number 1.

Option 3--The same amount of initial work, but I wouldn't use an oil stain. I'd use water based dye because it is more resistant to fading over time and the colours are crisper. Then coat it with a clear coat, either varnish or lacquer and rub it out to the desired gloss when properly dry. Or use a wipe on polyurethane varnish over the stain, which is quite a bit easier but not quite as classy looking as a hand rubbed and polished finish. That will wear longer than option one or two. But it's a different look.

Myself, I'd do option one or two.

3. I appreciate the response- and i think that may be the option to take when my backup arrives.

Of all of talk bass- this has got to be my favourite forum. Most interesting for me, i'd love to build a 'qunndo special'. My only wish is that you'd all bloody well hurry up with your builds because theres nothing as painful as reading through a build thread to find that its only half way there.

If i do end up deciding to redo it in some spare time i'll post some before and afters- just so i fit in.

4. Dude, I have sanded down one of the "natural oil stain" finishes. DON'T DO IT!!!!! That finish is not what you think it is, some how or another they managed to come up with a stain that would penetrate like a 1/4 inch into the wood. By the time you sand enough wood away to get rid of the old color the bass will be noticably smaller and weigh like a pound less. Just warning you!!!

5. Lol, glad you spoke up.

The stain it has on it goes like a whitey colour after its been scratched, which led me to think that it was just a shallow coat.

Anyone else had any experiences- or any with a streamer lx particularly.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, some stains do penetrate really deeply. Your Warwick sounds like it won't be too hard. But sometimes you have to bleach the colour out. I've done that on a few pieces of furniture.

7. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Try the forums at www.warwick.de - a bloke there tried sanding an oil finish back _before_ he asked the questions. A big mistake, but I think he worked his way back to a good result.

c-