Warwick on the bubble......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christos, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Ok I am doing some research myself, but any of you that have one of these or have played one.......Should I do it?

I have not played it yet, but I will probably stop by this weekend, and I have some bread saved up so I can put a good portion down as a deposit....I desperately need a back-up bass for shows, and I don't know what to buy....I think this might be a good possibility.......Please help.....Thanx.....
  2. I have a 6-string Corvette Standard that looks just like that one. The pickups on mine are different though.

The one I have is absolutely killer. I wasn't even in the market for a new bass but when I tried that one, I went home and picked up my old bass, brought it in and put the rest of the cost on my credit card. It plays great and sounds great. I just love it.

However, I recently received my 7-string Hanewinckel Reactor ( http://www.unpronounceable.com/dave/photos/photo_hanewinckel7-3.html ) which is even more killer. So, I am thinking about selling my 6-string Warwick ( to help finance the 7-string fretless I have on order ).

In any event, that is a great price. The 6-string I have retails for like $1999 ( I think ). Mine was on sale for $1399 at Guitar Center. $895 for a 5-string sounds like a good deal to me.

If I do sell it, I am planning on asking $1000 for it. If anyone's interested, let me know.

3. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    For $895? Go for it. If you like the growly warwick tone, this one is the king of growl (bubinga body is what does it. It sounds a lot like the thumb neck-through). It's a 97' too, so it has a wenge neck unlike the brand new ones that have ovankol. It doesn't have a brass nut, even though 97' was the last year they came with them but, It's no big deal. I'd buy it if I had the $. This bass is very worthy of being a main bass too. What's your main axe now?
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Very nice bass for the money, looks great, plays like butter. I was about to buy one myself some time ago, but unfortunately I found that the sound wasn't really for me - I had a hard time to make it work in a band setting... but when soloed it sounded absolutely wonderful!
    The older wenge necks beat the ovankol ones by far. If you like Warwicks, I see no reason to hesitate!
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I own the exact bass - except in a 4 string, and I agree with all the above. The wenge neck seems lightyears away from the newer necks, and IMO that was one of the last years that Warwick put real care into the making of their basses. It was right after that that they started mass marketing them - and they just don't feel the same any more. The bass definitely has a growl like no others. Good price too!

Word of caution - the bass weighs a ton. It didn't bother me when I bought it, but after jumping around on a stage with it a few times - i went and bought myself a MM. I still use the Warwick to record though.
  6. blong1

Apr 10, 2000
    get it man. i've got a '98 5 string corvette and i love it. built like a tank, the sound really cuts through, and talk about growl!!:eek: the only draw backs are that it is a little heavy and the neck is a bit beefy. but after playing it, i was sold on it. i'll never get rid of mine.
  7. Hey Christos that bass was mine! I just traded it this past weekend towards a 78 Musicman Stingray. It's a great bass I just didn't have much use for a five. I barely played it at all. I still think that it's a 98 though since I believe that the last two numbers on the serial number are 98. It doesn't have the brass nut but it does have the wenge neck.

I hope it finds a good home soon and Bob and Bernie at Bass Palace are great guys to deal with!

Good luck!

8. Well I scraped up some cash and if it is still there Saturday and I like the feel I will be getting it.....Thanks for all the input guys....
  9. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    You know what they say, once you do a Warwick there ain't know goin back. Go ahead and "sport some wood". Hey Christos what part of PA are you from? I'm from Altoona.
  10. Northeastern PA....Scranton area.......
  11. I did it.... I bought it......I can't bring it home until next week though, Bob at the www.basspalace.com is going to tweek it before I take it home....He is going to widen the spacing on the strings a tad also.......I can't wait....

P.S. Nino-Brown thanks for the advice on the C-B 6 string.....You were absolutely right they are not very good......
  12. Is that the only one? If it is.. damn you! I'll have to save up $400-500 more dollars until I can get mine from Guitar Center!

13. They had a couple different Warwicks in stock most were 4 string though.....They had a really nice 4 string thumb bolt on, but I need 5 so I took the Corvette...The basspalace always has different ones coming through, just keep checking the web site.....
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Glad to help. I hope you got a keeper this time!!!!
  15. well, I hope they have another warwick corvette 5 for that price in such great condition again! hehe I really need to work more! ahhhhhh