warwick opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herrera, Feb 16, 2002.

1. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i want the thumb bolt on 6 with the WIDE NECKthe problem is that most of the review that i have read said that that bass has an horrible slap sound

and the ones that said that the slap sound is good uses basslines ppickups

what you can tell me about the bass?
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, it all depends on what you consider a horrible slap sound, I guess.

I personally think that the Thumb BO has a KILLER slap sound. It does have a distinct tone, like all Warwicks. You can definitely tell it is a Thumb just by hearing it. And that is not a bad thing, I don't think. But it does sound great slapped, and fingerstyle. To me anyway.;)
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    no it doesn't....it sounds awesome, imo...let's see, it sounds killer, it feels great, despite a little neck dive...it can play horribly with a bad setup, but with a good setup, plays like buttah-so watch out! i have to agree that the sd basslines sound a little better. that's just a biased opinion, though. i like basses with a little hotter output. some really hate the thick necks, but i dig 'em. feels like a big ol' baseball bat cut in half, and paired with 20mm string spacing at the bridge, you've got yourself a monster...and a heavy one, too. so, make sure you have a really wide padded strap, unless you're a glutton for punishment. and screw reviews, man. go out there and play one for yourself. you may have to play a couple of them...since warwick has started an assembly line, you may discover that quality and sound may differ from bass to bass.
  4. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have a Thumb Bo 5 string, love it!
  5. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I not a big Warwick fan as much as I have played them I can seem to like them . I do think they look cool and diffrent . I played a Corvette Proline
    at Guitar Center and I Look cool But their was somthing I did not like about . But diffrent strokes for diffrent folks that's what makes being a Bass player Cool diffrent choices .
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm considering the same bass, but without the Broad neck option. I don't play much slap, so would I wanna stick with the MECs? I have loved all the 5 string BO Thumbs I have played, but think I want to step up to a six. I play mostly ska, rock, reggae, and blues, and am really looking for that Warwick growl. I would play one, but not one of the dealers within a five hour drive keeps one in stock.
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hey Adron! Is that you, from W Mobile Music?
    If so, welcome! If not, welcome anyway!

You really should come over and try the Warwick Infinity 5! It'd give you a feel for the MECs. It's got a slap contour function that scoops the mids when you pull the volume knob up...
    There's a Corvette 6 in Ocean Springs last time I checked, and a Streamer Jazzman 5 that I liked better than the Thumb. They've got a pretty good selection over there, as of a few months ago, but no Thumb 6, as you mentioned.