1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have decided its time to retire my thumb from giging, the only problem now is what to buy. The only things i know are.

It has to be a Warwick

It has to be a 5-string

It has to be very versatile, i play in quite a heavy rock band, but also play some funk and R'n'B.

Prefer a Bolt on to a thru-neck

Any ideas and suggestions.

Chris

2. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    well

i would say get a streamer stage II but u dont wont a neck-thru...... its a very versatile bass

i play all kinda different styles on it

3. Streamer JazzMan, or if you prefer the older stuff, a used Streamer bolt on (maple neck, cherry body, i e really old and very nice) or Streamer ProM, if you can find one.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    This may seem a silly question, but why are you retiring your Thumb from gigging? Is it broken?

Alex

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Its too rare to use (1987 demo, leds, 2 peice bridge, gloss finish etc...)..... im keeping it for recording

6. Why not a Thumb bolt-on?
    Dolphin Set-Neck?

7. This won't help you, but how would you decsribe Warwick heads and cabs? Are they better, different from the more common brands (Ampeg, SWR ...).
    Is there a precise reason why you use Warwick amps instead of something else?

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    They seam to have a very 'clean' hifi tone, but they can still be warm. I also use a lot of synth bass and they handle it really well. They just amplify your basses tone, and dont change it too mutch.

I did have a Ashdown head on loan, while i was waiting for the warwick head to arrive and i didnt like it, it was very warm, but couldnt cut thru.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Infinity set-neck? Somebody needs to take the plunge...
    [​IMG]

10. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    proline 5, stage 2 (but you dont want nec thru) but stage 2 is the best warwick ever hands down

11. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Would you consider selling your thumb bass before x-mas??? If your looking for a buyer i'm your man.

13. I just traded for the one that's still pictured on the Basspalace.com site. . . it RULES! I owned a Thumb 5 for a while, but couldn't get the low end out of it that I wanted (pu's too close to the bridge). I also owned a Streamer Pro M 5 that I found to be strangely unagressive -- and who wants an unagressive Warwick???

But the Fortress sounds INCREDIBLE. If you can get past the weird body shape, you'll be in love. . .

And it balances on a strap! What more could you want?