Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have decided its time to retire my thumb from giging, the only problem now is what to buy. The only things i know are.

It has to be a Warwick

It has to be a 5-string

It has to be very versatile, i play in quite a heavy rock band, but also play some funk and R'n'B.

Prefer a Bolt on to a thru-neck

Any ideas and suggestions.

Chris

2. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    well

i would say get a streamer stage II but u dont wont a neck-thru...... its a very versatile bass

i play all kinda different styles on it

3. Streamer JazzMan, or if you prefer the older stuff, a used Streamer bolt on (maple neck, cherry body, i e really old and very nice) or Streamer ProM, if you can find one.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    This may seem a silly question, but why are you retiring your Thumb from gigging? Is it broken?

Alex

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Its too rare to use (1987 demo, leds, 2 peice bridge, gloss finish etc...)..... im keeping it for recording

6. Why not a Thumb bolt-on?
    Dolphin Set-Neck?

7. This won't help you, but how would you decsribe Warwick heads and cabs? Are they better, different from the more common brands (Ampeg, SWR ...).
    Is there a precise reason why you use Warwick amps instead of something else?

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    They seam to have a very 'clean' hifi tone, but they can still be warm. I also use a lot of synth bass and they handle it really well. They just amplify your basses tone, and dont change it too mutch.

I did have a Ashdown head on loan, while i was waiting for the warwick head to arrive and i didnt like it, it was very warm, but couldnt cut thru.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Infinity set-neck? Somebody needs to take the plunge...
    [​IMG]

10. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    proline 5, stage 2 (but you dont want nec thru) but stage 2 is the best warwick ever hands down

11. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Would you consider selling your thumb bass before x-mas??? If your looking for a buyer i'm your man.

13. I just traded for the one that's still pictured on the Basspalace.com site. . . it RULES! I owned a Thumb 5 for a while, but couldn't get the low end out of it that I wanted (pu's too close to the bridge). I also owned a Streamer Pro M 5 that I found to be strangely unagressive -- and who wants an unagressive Warwick???

But the Fortress sounds INCREDIBLE. If you can get past the weird body shape, you'll be in love. . .

And it balances on a strap! What more could you want?