Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick or custom cirrus 6-er?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplay4-5, Dec 7, 2004.

1. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    i need some help on buying a new bass i want to get a warwick corvette standard 6-er w/ blackhardwear, or a custom peavey cirrus, i'm looking for a massive thunder bass w/ punch for days low end so heavy you can;t handle it, and even clear highs that sing, and a very even sounding bass. the warwick has a bubinga body,bolt on, ovankaol neck w/ a wenge finger board, soapbar mec pickups, and a mec 2 band eq for $2,000, the peavey mite be a ash body, flame maple top, neck thru,purple heart maple neck and ebony finger board w/ the famous peavey 18volt vfl system for $2,600 PLEASE i NEED help on desiding thanks alot , peace from the mexican viva la bass!!!

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'd take the cirrus over the Vette, and I'm a warwick lover.

3. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I have never played on a Cirrus so I don't know about those. I would not advise the purchase of most post 1998 Warwicks. Most of the time the quality is pretty shabby.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My personal choice would be the Peavey. I have owned a Peavey Cirrus 5 and it is the one bass that I really regret getting rid of. I have owned a couple of Warwicks (not the exact one you are looking at) and they haven't really done it for me, even though I have really wanted to like them.

5. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    only the 98 warwicks or most newer warwicks do you mean because i plan on buying a new one n the blackhardwear means it's a "custom order"

6. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Go with the Peavey.... IMO its a better bass. I think you'll be quite pleased with the sound....

7. You could get one of each if you buy used. They're both great basses, but I wouldn't pay that much for either.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Have you played both? Go with personal preferance over people who will undoubtedly recommend their brand.

I play a Warwick Corvette Standard 4, but most of the 5 and 6 string Warwicks I have played (Thumb Bolt-on 5, Corvette Standard and Pro 6's) have been less than impressive to me in regards to sound, tautness of the B string, balance, and lack of weight. I could live everything about these basses except their tone.

I only 5 string Warwick I have really been floored about was the Corvette with the MM-humbucker at the bridge. Tons of tones that I found useable in that setup.

The Cirrus' I (4's, 5's, and 6's have run across have been pretty nice in comparision. One of the few active eq's I actually like with minimal tweaking. I dig the access to the upper register the design of this bass allows.

I like the versatility of the Cirrus, but when you find a great on a Warwick they can be hard to forget; tough call really.

A few questions to you though. What kind of music do you play and what kind of tone are you going for? Do you use effects? What kind of band are you in?

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    In comparison to pre 98's, yes, but warwick construction is anything but shabby.

10. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    i know that but the cirrus is a custom order, because they only come in walnut and alder bodies and i don;t like the tone of either and the finger boards in pau ferro

11. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    i'm looking for a punchy low end bass w/ not a lot of crunch not to harsh but not to suttle, i want something that cutts really good i play metal, hardcore, jazz, and funk,and i love to solo slap n pop, but w/ my style i combine all of them into one so i'm more of a musican then just a bassist of a type of musick and yes i do use effects but thru the effects loop so as to add not to change my bass tone i use them but mostly i set everything flat on the amp and use compresion and let the natural sing of the bass and amp go so as to not disrupte anything

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1!

13. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    just the thought of the weight of a 6 string warwick makes me want to cry :crying:

14. owning a thumb (friend owning a vette) and owning a Cirrus peacock blue 6 (thank you reedith... best purchase I have ever made when it comes to bass) I would go Cirrus... however I warn you about the tone... it's not everybodies bag

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Check this Custom Tiger Eye Cirrus 6 out. It's new, available from an auth'd dealer, full warranty, and will sell for well under 2600!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vserbe@springnet1.com

Long story short, I had this out on eval, special deal from a good friend who's an auth'd Peavey dealer, and I'm finding I just can't get comfy on a 6. This bass goes back to the shop tomorrow, and goes back to the Peavey rep within the next couple days if someone doesn't grab it up. I just can't stand the thought of this thing being wall fodder.

16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Agreed!! Iown a 97 and a 2001 Thumb and the 2001 blows away the 97

17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I believe he tried to express the exactly opposite feeling.

18. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    The cirrus sounds nice but are you getting new or used cause their will be a bit of price diffrence. I would play both but you can get a 6 string thumb bass used between 900-1300. Both the vette and the peavey will be giving you excellent quallitly bass. The necks though are 2 diffrent worlds.

19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've haven't played a Warwick 6'er, but I loved the Cirrus 6 that I came across. The neck was a better fit for me, and I thought the tone was more flexible. Then again, there aren't many basses that come close to the Warwick sound, so if that's what you want, the Cirrus probably won't work. For my money, I'd take the Cirrus anyday though.