Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick or Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassNoob?, Feb 15, 2006.

1. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I have liked jazz for a long time, but I took out a Jaco CD about a week ago, and now I am in love with jazz. I'm learning Portrait of Tracy now, and I just can't get enough.

I have had my eyes set on a Warwick fretless bass for a while now, but after hearing Jaco's tone, I am re-thinking my choice. I am also into Les Claypool and Primus, so that influence is also pushing me towards a fretless. I have heard that the Warwick Corvette has more of a bright "mwah" tone than an American Fender Fretless Jazz, but the Fender has a really punchy tone.

Which one would you choose? :confused:

2. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    got both and they both have great qualities but the best fretless I have played in a whilr is the Tony Franklin Signature P-Bass fromm fender the tone is rippin' buying one as soon as I can:bassist:

3. Your question is very much like asking us if you'll like broccoli or green beans better. We can't tell. I have a MIJ fretless but I have GAS for a Thumb fretless.

Jaco chose Fender :D

4. Play both of them. Whichever is more comfortable for you and sounds best is the one you should get.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    While I played a lot of jazz many years ago... and I still love the music... I never owned a fretless bass. However, I'm playing rock, blues, reggae and funk these days, and I happen to have both brands of axes: Fender Stu Hamm Urge-II and a Warwick Thumb-5 NT.

Both have very different tone, as you might imagine. The Stuey has 2- J-pups on either side of a P-pup. The electronics are always active at 9-volt. This bass has virtually unlimited tone shaping capability, and I'll use it for our rock and funk stuff.

The Thumb-NT is both passive and active at 18-volt. This is the warmest, most mellow bass guitar I've ever played... and the sustain goes forever. I never play it on passive, either. It has taken me some getting used to playing this axe... had to fool around with the EQs on both my DB750 and ABM500, but I've discovered some settings that really make the Thumb sing. However, once again... these two axes are so different in the way they sound... must be the 'Sound of Wood...' As you may have surmised, I'll use this one on the reggae and blues tunes. I like the fat, warm bottom I can get out of this piece...

...can't say if I've been very helpful; however, if I hooked-up with a jazz band tomorrow, I'd be taking along the Thumb for that type of music.

BTW... another interesting thing about my Thumb-5: whenever I take it out of it's gig-bag, it almost always is spot-on in tune. If I have to adjust the tuning on any string, it's the low B, and it's hardly ever off the mark by much... The Stuey... while never off my much, either, needs a little adjustment whenever I first pick it up.

6. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Let me rephrase my question:
    Which fretless bass... Fender American Jazz or Warwick Corvette... will give me a tone similar to Jaco and Claypool.

But comments on the company are welcome as well. I need all the help i can get lol :hyper:

7. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I have owned both a Warwick Corvette Standard fretless, and a Fender American Jazz Fretless. I actually traded my Warwick fretless in for the fretless Jazz. They are both very good basses for the money, and both basses sound good. The problem I had with the Warwick was that is was VERY heavy. Totally uncomfortable to play standing up. It was like it was made out of granite or something. Anyways, they both have their own sound. You can definately get close to the Jaco sound with an American Jazz. The Warwick Corvette has a very indivdual tone. I wouldn't say brighter, but it's very "Warwick". Go to your nearest Guitar Center and try then out. :bassist:

8. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a 63 fretless Jazz and a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn fretless. The JO sounds nearly as good the old Fender. Great feel - great construction - reasonable price. Try one.

9. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I've always been partial the the warwick fretless. Lots of good tones!

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Either one would be a solid choice.