Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Or Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexK, Jun 3, 2001.

1. AlexK

AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    Lately I've been looking for a 5 string and my choice has boiled down to either a Warwick Fortress 5 or an Ibanez BTB1005. Which do you think is better? Any other suggestions for a new bass around $1000?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never been fond of warwick basses. All the ones I've played have had really chunky necks (I played many different models) & I thought the sound wasent to great. i tried ones w/ MEC p/u's & Bart humbuckers. Active ones & passive ones. They felt very comfortable strapped on because of the Spector style countoured body. That was the only thing I liked about them.

On the other hand, I think that the BTB line is the best line that Ibanez has ever made. I played a few of the BTB-405 & they're great. I played one or two of the BTB-1000 & BTB-1005 & I liked them even more. Great players, great sound.

Other opinions on basses in the $1000 range is the Spector NS-5 CR. This bass is AWESOME in every way!!!!! Musician's friend has a deal on them w/dot inlays & solid colors for $999.99!!!!!! The ones w/crown inlays & transparent colors w/figured bodies sell for <b>$1499.99</b> & it's the SAME EXACT BASS!!!!!!!

Good luck. :)

3. I gave up my Ibanez in order to get a Warwick.
    Best thing I ever did. Ibanez does make just about the thinnest necks on the planet... I you're into that sort of thing. I prefer Warwick necks over the Ibanez.

4. I played all ibanez until I got my warwick corvette.. now I rarely touch my ergodyne. It's not that it was bad.. it just can't measure up to the warwick's tone. The warwick does have a much wider neck than ibanezes.. but it takes no time to get used to it. If You can live with the skinny neck, go with the ibanez.

5. Played a BTB 1005 through my new bass rig at Daddy's today, it was the most comfortable 5 string I've ever played, even more comfortable than my 4. It has an awesome skinny neck and a body that was surprisingly lightweigt for a 5. Never played a Warwick, but the BTB's are phat.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    IMO Warwicks fives have excellent necks, just the right amount of thickness and width. I'd prefer bubinga-Corvette over Fortress tho, but if you like Fortress better I'd say it's better than Ibanez.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have played both the BTB and the Fortress 5. Both are great basses, and you probably can't go wrong with either one of them. I preferred the Warwick to the Ibanez, but that was just a matter of personal preference. I liked the tone of the Warwick a little more. I would say go and play them both side by side through your amp, if possible, and see which one you are the most comfortable with and which one sounds good to you.

Either way you go, you are gonna end up with a nice bass.

Ryan

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwick all the way man - as long as you don't get the streamer standard, you should be good. the fortress is a comfortable body shape, good looking, great neck, good electronics, and of course, awesome tone.

that is, of course, assuming you can handle the neck. i personally like some thickness in the neck, but jazz bass size or smaller string spacing, so my thumb fits me like a glove. but play the warwick for a while before you buy it, if it hurts your hand don't buy it. :D

jason

9. bass_swan

bass_swan

Jun 3, 2001
    I have a Ibanez GSR something. I recetnly got a Warwick Streamer. I still use the Ibanez, but it just doesn't compare to the sound of the Warwick. Tone and quality are better too. I also like the feel, the neck is supperior to Ibanez. In my opinion.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well iam looking for a new 5 string bass and came to this conclusion! Stay away from ibanese i hated the bass! Damn near cut my finger off on one of the fretts! Spector is a good choice if you only get the higher end models! I love warwicks great solid bass. Iam going with the modulus quantim 5 or the warwick neck through thumb bass. I might even shell out more cash and get the dolphin pro!

11. You're actually comparing Ibanez to WARWICK?!?! That's like comparing a Ford Mustang to a Ferrari. Warwicks are infinetly better. And who would have ever guessed that Nino-Brown would suggest SPECTORS???? NOT ME!!! Not all Warwick fives have big necks; my Streamer Standard has a very comfortable shape on its neck. It's a lot better than Fender Jazz fives. If you do have an option, though, go with the wider string spacing. I have a little trouble playing some stuff on my Warwick.

12. i personaly didnt like the btb1005, i thought the neck was "too thin", where there really wasnt any meat on it to "grab" at. I thought it was very uncomfortable, and really didnt like it. I didnt plug it in, but it sounded pretty good acustic. What kind of strings were on these things? they were two different color windings, they looked pretty cool

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey Nino i think iam going with the spector but cant make up my mind on 2 of them! I like the neck through on the europe version. But i really dig the peacock color of the usa bolt on. Whats the quality diff between them like?

14. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Warwick all the way. And Bass Place has been selling five and four string Fortress basses at great prices on ebay lately. It's up to you, though. Warwick is woody and organic, with an "earthier" feel, for lack of a better word. Every Ibanez I've ever picked up (and I'm not a fan of the brand) seems glossy and slick, which is not my preference.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yes! they feel so...cold and sterile.

jason

16. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Oh shoot, man! Warwick all the way! I own a Warwick Infinity LTD 2000 bass and it's incredible!! Ibanez makes some cool stuff, but the tone and playability is no where near as good as Warwick. I agree with one of the replies that Warwicks have chunky necks (acutally the Infinity has more of a Jazz Bass-style neck, nice and thin), but Warwick's are very great basses! I'd use your own judgement though, if you like the Ibanez more than the Warwick, go with it! Don't go by what some schmoe says on a discussion board :)

Chris

17. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    This particular schmo hastens to point out that this person solicited opinions. But a note about this chunky neck thing on Warwicks. I have a Streamer Standard fretless, which was bought to allow me to do the occasional tune on fretless and was not meant to be my main bass. But I'm now playing it quite a bit, so much so that I added an Aguilar OBP-1. As the lowest of the Warwick line, you'd think this would demonstrate all of the least favorite traits that people mention about Warwicks. But the neck doesn't seem chunky to me at all. And I don't exactly have the biggest hands or the longest fingers. So I just don't get the chunky neck thing. The neck to me seems very player friendly and easy to navigate. I know it's not the thinnest neck out there, but because of the ovangkol/wenge combo or something, it feels just right. And no matter what you're asking about, it always comes down to you. Your taste. Your preference. Hear the schmo rabble, just don't necessarily listen to it.

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Warwicks have a great neck, but whenever I play mine, i get cramps in my joint with the thumb and the palm area. then again I have a Warwick Streamer Stage I, (Wide wide neck with 20mm string spacing) and a Thick neck as well with my puny hands (Middle finger = 3") hehe

DM