Warwick or Modulus...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanbucko, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Eventually, I plan on buying a supremely top-of-the-line bass, and I've heard many good comments about Warwick Basses and Modulus Basses, and when comparing the two price-wise, the models that I prefer from each brand are priced relatively the same. My question now is which is the better buy: a Warwick Thumb Bass 6 String (neck-through) or a Modulus Quantum 6 String Bass?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Only you can decide that, the two instruments are vastly different. No better, just different. I have played great graphite necked instruments, but I have also played some that live up to certain stereotypes about being thin and sterile sounding.

I would try to find both before dropping large amounts on a bass you might not like.
  3. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    It depends on what style of music your playing. Ive owned both brands and i preferd warwick I find warwicks more cutting and versatile. Thats just my opinion.I havent played the 6 string version of that model so I cant comment on playabillity.
  4. Sweet. I have played on Warwicks before but not on Modulus, and the "Druel Factor" for me and Warwicks is in the "Wear a Bib" status lol, so I guess my next step is trying out a Modulus.
  5. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I would try both of them...

Personally i cant stand warwick necks. They are alot "harder" to play if you ask me. Because of their thickness i guess.

I have a Q6 Sweet spot. And i recieve compliments constantly. If you have nothing against the "graphite" sound i think they are the way to go.

Here in switzerland Warwicks are everywhere and i have yet to play one i really like.

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Try them both, they are both great basses, but very different.
  7. Definatley play a modulus before you buy, they aren't for everyone
  8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Go for the one that suits your style of music. I think of the thumb as being a heavy metal music band bassist (like that Ryan Martinie)
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Very different.

The Warwick has a very chunky neck profile, and Thumbs tend to be very neck heavy. Make sure you play it with a strap, standing up for a couple of hours before you drop the money on it. Some don't dive as bad as others, and some people don't mind neck dive. I love the Thumb, but for me, it is out of the question. Between the chunky neck profile and the neck dive, I would develop RSI pretty quickly.

The Modulus has a very comfortable neck, and is well balanced, but doesn't sound anything like a Thumb.
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    You either love or hate warwicks........they have a deffinte type of sound, and for the thumbs they have a super punchy sound that just takes alot of tweaking to get down to a mild P-esqe bass sound, necks are big, bodys are heavy, and theres a bit of maitnence on the woods

and as them for bein metal bassist......pft, seems only the players that are super inspired by slap pop fingerstyle can even manage to play those things, mudvayne is one of the few decent bands that can play the thing and not make it sound like ass

my 2 cents
  11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've owned both, and as many folks have said, they're very different basses, though both great in their own way.

Thumb - Very woody and organic feeling; rich, growly tone; very heavy (though I found the 6 not to have as bad a neck dive as the 4 and 5 because of that); a bit harder to reach the lower frets because of the short horn.

Modulus - Very solid feeling and stable; modern hi-fi tone with even response all over the neck and excellent low B, but a bit compressed sounding; well balanced and not too heavy, but not everyone likes the 35" scale.

Just for reference, my Thumb was an early 90's one with wenge neck and Barts, while my Modulus was an older 5 with EMGs, phenolic board and no truss rod. Different pickups or woods might give slightly different results, though I think the fundamental character of the two basses would remain.

I don't think you can really say which is the "better buy", only which is better for you.

12. I have two Warwicks and we play very dave matthews band-esque originals. I think a compressed Warwick tone is a thing of beauty in any implementation
  13. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    If you can purchase each bass one at a time and return it so that you can try the other, that would be the best way to go. I used to have a Warwick thumb, I loved the tone on it, with the setup I have it is actually the meanest sounding bass I have ever owned. Unfortunatly I started to develop CTS in both wrists and I attributed it to the severe neck dive of the instrument which caused me to bend my wrists at extreme angles. I ended up selling it :crying: When I was looking for a new bass I was lucky enough to be able to try out several basses one week at a time. The first time I took a Modulus home I new it was the one. The sound of a Modulus is unmistakable. Though some people hate the " graphite sound" I love it. It is my main bass now and I don't think I will ever get rid of it.
    I think that is a very acurate desrciption of the qualities of these basses Mike, I couldn't have said it better.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have a Streamer Stage 1 5 and a Quantum 5. As often mentioned, different but very cool.

I have no trouble with the 35" scale of the Q5... it has very fast playability. Tone is lovely, with a B string second to none and even, clear response throughout the fingerboard.

The Streamer does have a big fat chunky neck profile which takes getting used to, especially after playing slim-necked basses such as Lull or Modulus, but I *like* big fat chunky neck profiles. Even though my Streamer is mostly maple, it does have the trademark Warwick growl.

Overall: IMHO, the "love it or hate it" comment can apply to both basses. I love 'em both.
  15. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    just a quick comment about Warwick Thumb neck dive - I have a Thumb 5 neckthru, and what works for me is the comfort of leather. I have one of those wooden straps - sweet, matches perfectly - and sewed a strap of leather to the bottom side. I wear my bass medium-high, centered over my belly button, and have no dive issues. The bass does of course want to be worn more to the left than standard basses, because of the shrunken body size, hence differently positioned strap pegs (locks, really). Just have to get used to that, it's the nature of the beast. Kick.ass.bass, though.
  16. I had both, still have the Modulus.....

It's all about which works for you though.
  17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    After reviewing this thread, never having played a Modulus....having HUGE gas for Warwick Thumbs.....wanting a 6 string Thumb like crazy. I'm gonna go with the Modulus.

.....joke :), I'd choose the Thumb
  18. I've read on other posts that Thumb basses have little to no neck dive if you wear them up higher, and I do just that (almost as high as Stefan Lessard does), so I don't think that will bother me any. Plus, I use leather straps that grip onto my shirts qute well (which kinda sux because now I won't get to flip my bass around like Victor Wooten does, lol)
  19. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
  20. The Thumb may be the Warwick everyone likes to talk about, but the FNA Jazzman is the superior bass among Warwicks IMO. Not a fan of the 35" scale, but, as others have said, it's about what you like.