Warwick or Music Man?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Dec 10, 2001.

1. What do you like better, Warwicks or MusicMans (musicmen?)?. I know that they are around the same price range (depending on which wawick) and lots of people play em. Just wondering.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the MM better, but that doesn't mean that you will. Try as many basses in your price range as you can, even if you don't think you will like them.

Sometimes you will be surprised.
  3. And on the other end of the world I like my Thumb Bass more than my Stingray.

Well really I traded my Stringray for the Thumb so it isn't mine anymore.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Being a guy who doesn't own any of the two, I'd suggest the Warwicks. There have been scientific studies that show that they are superior basses. I'm just an unbiased guy who wants you to.... huh? What username? Oh, nevermind.

Get the Warwick!
  5. Again, it depends on what you want. I will say, however, that between the Stingray/Sterling and their Warwick equivalent, the FNA, the Music Man basses win hands-down. The Warwick is just too small and too light.

Now, the old Streamer Pro M--that was a kickass MM-style bass. Big neck, big heavy body, big sound. It's too bad that it's been discontinued...
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with Embellisher - whatever you prefer. I like both.
  7. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I own a stingray 5 and a warwick corvette proline. I think the warwick has better low end, more output, cuts through the mix better. I can't really think of a genre that I would prefer my stingrays sound to the warwick. That being said, the stingray plays a little faster, having a flatter neck and lower action. I keep trying to get the setup right on the corvette, but I seem to get more fret buzz.

Hopefully there is a store where you can try both. Guitar center (with all its downsides) tends to have plenty of these brands.
  8. I like the tone, feel and look of Warwicks. MMs sound good, and I like them, too, but I just love Warwicks.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    up until last week i had both a sterling and a warwick thumb 5 NT.

now i only have the sterling...

cos i sold the thumb to get a streamer stage II :D

i'd say i plan on adding at least one more warwick to my stable too. i like 'em more than any other bass.

also - i just checked out a bunch of new musicmen and i didn't like them nearly as much as my 94 sterling...but then again i don't like the brand new warwicks as much as i like the wenge necked ones, so i'm screwed either way :) but new for new I'd get the warwick.

warwicknut - what's your opinion on the ovangkol necked warwicks?

10. Who cares? They are both luthiers of fine instruments. I own both and they are great. Both have pros and cons and niether are perfect. Two different animals.
  11. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    As allwayz try all the basses you can get your hands on, i personally like bothe the MM and Warwicks, but i like the feel of the warwick more.

also i find that a good way to find good basses is to feel the vibrations in the body as you hold it, i figured this out before i knew what i should look for in a bass, it payed off for me, maybe its one of those "all in my head things", but every one that had good vibes had good tone.:D
  12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...over the Corvette Standard. More eq and better pickup. Yet to try a Thumb, but it would have to be well balanced. The Standard wasn't. Like the Cirrus 5 better than both. Same price range.
  13. i think i'd pick a warwick, but it's a VERY close call. they're both great brands.
  14. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Warwick: Booo!!!!

15. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I would go for the Warwick....I think MMs are much better looking basses, but I was never impressed by the sound...its really not that great of a bass and it seems to be really hyped here....I never understood that. I've never played a Warwick, but I happen to love the sound...
  16. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a Bolt on Thumb and a Stingray 5. IMHO they are completely different basses in every dept (feel sound looks) I feel that they are complemetry one does what the other doesnt.

If I had to play one bass only I wouldnt pick either if you can understand that. As it is I am keeping both until I sell them.
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

I'm with embellisher on this one! I like MM better also but you got to play them and decide for yourself!
    Beauty is in the eye & hands of the beholder!:)
  18. Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    Just joined.....
    I have a Musicman. I've owned it for nearly 2 years and it beats every other bass I have tried.
    The only contender was a Warwick! It felt sexier, looked sexier, but was a no-no when it came to the sound. Nothing beats the growl and bite of a Stingray
    Take the Warwick and use it as furniture.
    Take the Musicman and make music.:)
  19. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Welcome to TB Festus!
    Great first post:D
  20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I own a Corvette and a Sterling.

Most Warwicks weigh a ton. They are far from "too light" as someone else said. I bought the MM after the Corvette, and play it at least 2X as much.
    The Warwick is deeper sounding, but also muddier than than the MM.

If you're thinking of buying one of the 2 I'd suggest playing them both - a lot. Play them standing up too. Some people love Warwicks, and some despise them - most people either like or feel indifferent towards MM. Warwicks have a certain "vibe" to them IMO. My Warwick almost seems human, it has some sort of character to it my other basses don't have. I feel my MM can be easily replaced if it were stolen or smashed or something, my Warwick feels like it's the only one in existence.

I'm rambling.... I don't know which I'd buy if I had neither. That's why I guess I have both - actually -I think I'd get a Streamer Jazzman which is supposed to be the best of both worlds. Never played or seen one though.