Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick or Musicman???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I am about to buy a new bass and I am trying to decide what bass I want to get. I am torn between a Warwick thumb/bolt 4 string or a Musicman Sterling or Stingray. I hav been largely influenced by Eric Wilson of Sublime and A lot of the music I play seems to be Reggae but I want to play all kinds, from punk to ska to jazz. I want to know which bass is the most versatile as far as the tone and sound, and which one would would be best for me. I also would like to know what the differences are between a Musicman Sterling and the Stingray, as far as sound and playability???I would appreciate anyone's and everyone's suggestions and opinions. It would be a lot of help. Peace...

2. Hey Irie01. This topic was covered a couple of days ago, I believe. Browse further along the next few pages, or use "Search" and I think you'll get some good info.

3. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i was torn between an EB and a warwick as well. Eb's a very versitile. But very bright, posably to bright for deep jazz. I bought the bolt-on because it had more "meat" the tone was very clean. THe warwick one have a two band active pot as opposed to EB's 3 choose what you like. I chose the warwick.

4. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hmm, I've never had any of those basses (good start), but as far as I know the Sterling has smaller body and neck, its tone is a little "less heavy" than the Stingray and it comes with the series/parallel switch.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think the stingray is great for jazz. I use mine for Jazz. Stingrays are good for anything. Warwicks are good for just about anything also. just personal taste

6. The warwick's neck also has a MUCH SMALLER radius (rounder) than the sterling, along with being thicker nut width-wise. :cool:

7. just listen to them..warwick is warwick :D
    this means that the typical warwick sound isn't the same as the typical sterling sound...

a warwick-owner speaking here..

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Have you played any of them? You really need to do that before deciding on either. Who knows, you might be like me - I don't like either brand.

I spent an hour and a half this afternoon going through a number of Warwicks a store had... Corvette Std 5, Streamer Std 4, Streamer LX 6, Streamer Jazzman 5, Streamer Jazzman fretless 4 and finally some kind of Thumb BO anniversary model (?) with ebony fretboard and some kind of burl top. Excellent build quality and feel, and I really like how they look, but I couldn't care less for how they sound. Must be the pickups or something.

I've also spent a fair amount of time sitting down with Musicman basses and I don't like them either. IMHO they look ugly, sound ugly and feel clunky. Not to mention that you have to cough up around 18,000 SEK (ca $1,700) for a Stingray or Sterling... :eek: can't say that makes them any more attractive to me!

I'd take my Yammie or my Fender over those Warwicks and MMs anyday. Even though they have some serious flaws (worn frets, hissing preamp), at least they sound good. And they didn't cost $2K.

There, I said it. Feel free to ignore me.

9. I will :D

nahh..just kidding.. the prices are realy different here in Europe !!
    the Warwick here is less expensive then the Fender Jazz...

10. get a Yamaha TRB-5...those are awesome basses...!!!

does anyone have one and want to trade for a really nice 4 string?!

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes... too bad you're in the wrong country.

12. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    i'd go for the eb i love those.but i dont think you could go to wrong between those basses.

13. p0w3rman5ooo

p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Oysterman, I can't get enough of that video game mix, its amazing!

14. post some pics of the bass...and i'll tell you a possible trade...;)

15. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    They are both nice instraments. But so diff. I think it comes down to which one you like better. Well either that or just get a stingray because they are totaly awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. I've owned a Music Man, and still have a Warwick Thumb B.O, the Warwick is definately more Versatile. I must have tried at least 9 Stingrays before I found one I could get on with, they all felt differant in some way. I sold it after a couple of months. Check out the European Spectors.

17. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Id go with a Warwick. This comes from someone who has tried on as many Warwicks as MusicMans.

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :eyebrow:

This thread was from '02. I think he probably made his decision by now.:p:D

19. ROFLMAO.

OTOH, me might still be thinking...

20. mboki

mboki

Apr 17, 2006
    I have owned two streamer lx (4 & 5 strings), played a few thumbs (NT&BO) streamer stage I from `84, a few corvettes...also a few sterlings, stingrays (4&5) and I am sure that warwick has a larger radius (more straight neck) then any musicman.

The most similar sound to eric wilsons was when I`ve played the hohner bass (licensed steinberger..you know headless, paddle like body) with two EMG humbacker and 18V EMB 2way preamp.

Both Warwicks and MM are growly, cutting through the band...but they lack that wide bass....they are pretty narrow sounding, both growling in a higher or lower mids. MM do have a crispier highs, so more clarity. Warwicks are a kind of dark sounding basses, so if you need nice highs you MUST have a strings not older than a few days (they are a fresh strings hungry basses:)

(sorry for my english)