Warwick or Ric please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlu, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Warwick

28 vote(s)
  2. Rickenbacker

15 vote(s)
  1. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I am looking to get new bass, i play alround music, rock,funk,jazz,oldies,mello. I really like the ric sound and i like treble much more the low end, but i do occasiionally like to make my back feel good. I am having a struggle between the 2. I love the look of ricks and i love the look of a warwick standard corvette. I like the fact that the warick has 24 frets.but i really like the triangluar fret markers of the ric. I know that rics arnt that great ofr pop and slap, but i can live with out doing that. so i would be very greatfull if you u would give ur input. I just need a little push to get me over the hill.
  2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    easy Warwick,the Rick is a good bass only if you have another more versatile bass.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Let me elaborate.

The ric is a great bass, but it's mainly a rock bass. I used my old ric for a lot of jazz, and it just couldn't keep up. Not enough frets for stuff "up there", and it's tone wasn't very versatile. On the bridge PU you could get a jazz-ish tone, but there was some hum. On both Pups, you got a very deep tone that was great for rock, but that's about it. It's not a slapper, especially if you're a hard slapper. You'll hit the pup bumps and the bass will make annoying noises.
  4. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Are warwicks good for cords ? i lam big on cords
  5. sinner
  6. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Warwicks are very good!

Id get the warwick simply because it will fit better in any style of music compared to a ric. I just love them!

One bad thing about the warwick is the fact that you cannot kill the 'aggressiveness' (if there is such word) of the tone. Also many people don't like the necks.

Go to try out a corvette ;)
  7. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Get the warwick, the tone is mmmmmm.

8. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Why dont they like them?
  9. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    A lot of people reffer to Warwick necks as Baseball bats. Depending on what you're comfortable playing, I'd get the Warwick. But play one first...
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Play both and you'll realize the difference in the necks is like night and day. None better than the other but the feel totally different. I'm partial to RICs but I would imagine a Wick is more versatile.
  11. TwoThumbs

Mar 27, 2005
    Staunton,VA USA
    You can coax almost any sound you want from a Warwick (except a bad one).I'd go for the Corvette.
  12. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I say get a Ric IMO they play alot nicer and sound better.
  13. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I cant try out a ric, because no store in my area has them in stock, but i am trying out a warwick today. When u say it feels like a baseball bat does that refer to it being fat and wide?
  14. TBASS

Sep 17, 2004
    Tulsa, Ok.
    I have experience with both. I used the rick 4001 for country. rock, & newgrass back in the 70's. Wish I still had it. A great bass especially if you tone it down with halfround strings. I'm an old timer and don't slap&pop so can't help you there. Now the Warwick. I currently am using this bass (the corvette standard passive). I've been having a love/hate relationship with this thing. Someone said it has an aggressiveness that you cant kill. I agree with that, however you can make it sound very sweet. The neck while thick is fast playing because it has a narrow figer board. I find the thickness helps considerably when playing this narrow of a fingerboard. The pickups are very low output and dark sounding with a lot of treble at the same time. The more I play it the more I like the way it feels but I'm not so sure about the sound. All that being said about these two basses I can't help but recommending that you also try and consider the Fender Jazz since you are looking for an all around instrument.

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    baseball bats,ha,ha,ha lol excuseme cough,i can play any neck,i can,t understand unplayable words,if the bass have 4 to 6 strings for me is playable,am a 5,10 guy with large fingers.
  16. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I'm six foot (didn't know it mattered) and I have monster hands, and the neck on my corvette standard feels quite bat-ish...but high five for you, I guess... :meh:

mlu, you're right, they're reffered to as baseball bats because they're much thicker and wider than other bass necks, especially around the higher frets. It does take some getting used to, especially if you've played Fenders. Still, I love the tones I can get out of mine. It plays chords fairly well, though getting the action right for chord work takes a while.
  17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i can find how i can play this new bass in my live,you understand,if you try a new bass and you try your old position in your old bass,everithyng goes wrong,all basses can be played different.
  18. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Chords? Yes.
  19. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    Get a Ric 4003 - fantastic basses :bassist: