1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick or Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gab124, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Title should have gotten a few peoples attention. i live in an area where playing a Sadowsky is really not an option. With that said I seem to have developed some gas for one, an RV4. I have had a 1996 Warwick corvette Std 4 with upgraded bartolini pups and preamp for years now. Have always really liked it but have also thought I was missing something as well. So, would anyone like to tell me the difference I would hear between the two? You can see my rig in signature. And, for background, I play rock, blues and pop rock in a cover band and have started seriously studying jazz and hope to get in a group someday playing a style like you would hear with Gnappy, Galactic, Tal Wilkenfeld, Oz Noy to name a few.
    Thanks in advance.
    PS. Yes, I have done alot of reading through the search engine, but nothing really comparing the two instruments I mentioned. :) Sadowsky threads gone on forever....Wow.

2. There are many warwick corvette models:
    Standard Ash
    Standard Bubinga
    $$
    $$ NT ash
    $$ NT bubinga
    FNA
    FNA jazzman
    Taranis
    Proline
    ...and the limited edition

Please tell us which corvette model you have first.
    Also, Warwicks and Sadowsky are on each of the extreme of the bass tones. Warwicks are very tight and mid focused and very aggressive sounding basses with lots of growl. Sadowsky are usually very modern for a jazz bass: they got a clean tone and cover a wide frequency palette (the lows are very low and the highs are very high). They are also very mid scooped instrument and do not growl as much.

3. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    i agree, two very different bass companys

4. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Sorry, my corvette is a bubinga body and a wenge neck. Just a corvette standard

5. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    its like the diffrence between tomatoes and baseball bats.
    ime, warwicks naturally have low end for days, with somewhat subdued highs but sits very well in the mix and has a much more unconventional design (ergonomics may be an issue for some)
    while sadowskys are much more clean hifi sounding, very modern and a variation of a traditional style instrument (fender style)

6. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Flipper's got it down pretty good. Personnaly I'd go with a warwick (personal preference, I like a bass with a mid focus or mid bump) but is there ANYWERE near you were you can try a Sadowsky?

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    the bass you have will be fine for years - what the Sad will bring you is a a more vintage sound (not to mention it will play great). Every time I've played a Sadowsky, I always think "This is a fender done perfectly" - so if that's what you're looking for, they are great. That said, if you like the feel of your warwick (something I could never get past) then stick with it. Save your money. It's a good bass.

8. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I have never seen a Sadowsky at any local store, just masses of Fenders, Ibenez etc. Nothing against those, just never felt one I liked. I love my vette, but it does get heavy after a long night. I also feel that to get the highs I would like to hear I have to really crank the treble and then I get lots of sounds I do not like so much. I will agree, it does have low end for days and a very strong mid range punch. I should keep/get both but we are in a recession I hear.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    BIG DIFFERENCE!!

Personally, I don't like Warwicks. Thick Neck, Heavy, awkward to hold, but TONE FOR DAYS.

Sadowsky, Thinner Neck, Light, sits and balances perfectly, and TONE FOR DAYS!

Really, it's what you'd prefer in a bass. They're both polar opposites. A Sadowsky can't sound like a warwick, and a warwick can't sound like a Sadowsky.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Both are great basses but the Sadowsky pre....whew!

Riis

11. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    If you are playing blues and rock, a Sadowsky is definitely a better option than a Warwick. As mentioned above, Warwicks are very mid-sounding and tight - they sound compressed (too much so for my liking). I've owned both Sadowskys and Warwicks and I was always cranking the bass on the Warwicks in an attempt to get more bottom out of them. Don't get me wrong, Warwicks can sound great, and they (especially the bolt-ons) sit very well in the mix. What they don't do is coat the mix the way a Fender-style instrument does. While Sadowskys don't have the same open lows that a passive Fender does, they are much closer to the Fender sound than are Warwicks. This means that, when playing a blues, you can actually still feel some bass coming off of your D and G strings (unlike on a Warwick). I've owned three top-of-the-line Warwicks and none of them ever made me smile the way my Sadowskys do. Whenever I'm on a gig with a Warwick, I miss the rich tone of my Fender or Sadowsky. Whenever I'm on a gig with my Sadowsky, I don't miss a thing. One other thing - the quality control at Warwick (not to mention the customer service) doesn't even come close to the quality control and customer service at Sadowsky. Warwick is now, I'm afraid, just another big company that cuts corners and doesn't give a damn. After having some difficulties with Warwick's customer service, I will never deal with Warwick again (even if I did really like their basses). Warwick is still riding on a reputation which was established in the 80s - when the company was making hand-made basses. That reputation, in my opinion, is no longer deserved.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Wenge will give you splinters if you start flying around the fingerboard like the aforementioned artists. Seriously, I'd hold on to a '96 Corvette as I'm a big fan of the 3 piece wenge neck and FB. I had two similar late '90's four bangers, Streamer Pro M and LX 4, and they were killer. You still need a Sadowsky, though.

Riis

13. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    You really clicked when you mentioned feeling the bass more on the D and G strings with the Sadowsky. The highs are where I am the most unhappy with my Warwick. They just do not seem to sing like I want. The low end and mid are great. Every recording I hear with a Sadowsky I really like what I hear, but always take a recording with a grain of salt. I also really seem to listen to music with traditional bass tones. Now that I think of it, I can only think of maybe a couple bands I like that even play Warwicks.