Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick or Spector? Help Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Jan 3, 2001.

1. After all my contemplating between the the Warwick Streamer and Corvette standard I decided on the Corvette. But now another bass has been thrown in the mix. A Spector NS200/Q4
    Can anyone tell some things about this bass as far as how it compares to the Warwick. Thanks.

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i'd like to know too

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    ok i told the same story in another thread yesterday but here it goes. i got the spector ns2000/4 (an upgrade neckthrough model of the Q4) and thought it was great....until i heard a warwick. spectors in general are very high quality but i really like the warwick sound so i am selling me Ns2000 for a corvette. try em and get the one you like..their sounds are drastically (sp) different.

4. basslax. I know what the Warwick sounds like but can you try to explain what the Spector sounds like? Is it similar to anything else?

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hmm..i cant really place a label on the spector sound. i dont think there really is a spector "sound" with the Q4 or ns2000. its really versatile..you can get many sounds with it but it doesnt have the same unique-ness of a warwick sound. i would give you a sample of my bass but i suck :) .

thy em and get the one that you feel you can groove with. thats the best advice i can give ;) (i hope that smiley worked...)

6. alexands

alexands

Apr 12, 2000
    I suppose it's really a personal thing. I faced the same issue several months ago between a Warwick and Spector. The Spector sound, in my opinion, was far superior to the Warwick. The active soap-bar EMG pickups sounds really fat, yet very sharp.

The selling point for me was overall feel. The Spector neck and fingerboard are smoother and "faster" than the Wenge neck of the Warwick. The countoured body and the overall ballance of the instrument was a no brainer for me. The Spectors action was better and was more comfortable to me. I purchased a used Korean neck-through Spector made in 94. I paid $400 bucks for it and it's 3 times the bass of the Warwick (at 1/3 the price).

If your looking to buy a new Spector I would stay away from the Q4 series as they are inexpensive, Koren bolt-ons. The NS2000/4 is the Korean neck-through and is a hell of an instrument for $700. If you wanted to spend around $1200 go for the Czech neck-through.

Good luck!

Scott

7. Scott says it all in his last paragraph. I own an NS2000/5 AND LOVE IT! As with ALL korean made instruments, WATCH FOR QUALITY CONTROL !!! Look at the little things, CLOSELY. I was lucky and got a perfect, flawless bass.

8. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I play musicman stingray's but if I didn't I would play Spector. The spector actually plays better and faster than my stingray. Tone wise, I think it is better than Warwick. I think Spector all the way. I think the czech one is the one I played and it was awesome. The action is the best I have seen.
    cameron dye

9. Groove

Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    Maybe I'm not understanding this right, but maybe that's because I'm a professional bass tech. I'm reading alot of threads that are saying that certin basses have bad action. Almost any bass (of quality) can be set up with any kind of action you want. My advise is that when your in a store testing basses and you find one that has bad action, tell them to adjust it to your liking. They will do this if they value and respect your business. Don't buy/not buy a bass bases on the action.

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Groove,
    Excellent point, providing the store has a good tech (and one that knows that some Warwick truss rods turn backwards from just about all other brands.)
    Steve

11. Groove is right. Stores usually set instruments up with a medium sort of action to accomodate the average player. Some one comes along who likes a real low action and says "all these basses suck". Not so. If a store wants your business they will set any bass up to your needs, no problem. I work in a store, and that's our policy, anyway. Also, go with the Czech Spector, it's a far better one than the Korean one, in fact it's very similar to the USA model.

12. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Got to agree to a point with that! I own 2000Q5 bolt on. I like it alot but only after some mods to the electrics and action. When I bought mine, there were no European models to try. I finally got to try one at the NAMM show and was thoughly impressed and I couldn't really tell the differance from the USA model (Do I hear an upgrade coming? - Oh honey......). And this is just my opinion, but, I just don't like Warwick basses at all. But thats just me. Good luck on your choice - whatever it is, you'll like it cuz you chose it, it didn't chose you.