1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick or Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bostich36, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Spector

67 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Warwick

54 vote(s)
    44.6%
  1. bostich36

bostich36

Feb 13, 2013
    Title says it all, Warwick or Spector?

2. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I'm a big Wickhead :)

Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Do a search. This has been done.......more than once.

johneedshea likes this.
  4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Both make good basses. Both have a unique tone. Play a bunch and choose what works for you. You can't go wrong.

5. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    ive played a couple of spectors over the years (Euro 4 and a cheaper rebop). I played each for a gig or 2 borrowed from a friend, they have always been a phenomenal instrument in playability and tone. Was hard giving them back.

I wish like hell I could say the same for the last WWs ive played. I sat at a Sam Ash 2 days ago and played a used 2005 standard corvette for 35 minutes HOPING i could love it... it had crappy worn strings and was beat up, dirty, heavy, clumsy, and proved that I am way too used to heavy on-board EQ. also the price tag of $875 was a bit rediculous

The brand new $$ next to it played a better but i just couldnt get a solid likable sound through it even after switching a couple of amps. Might have been me but I was left feeling "Meh" about the wicks.

+1 spector IMHO

6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    The only thing "comparable" about them is the design shape on some models and there's way too much backstory on that to get into again.
    They both sound 180 deg. different from one another so not sure why the constant comparisons. It's like comparing a J bass to a Ric...

7. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Yeah, I dont see why all the comparisons either.

Attached Files:

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    if you're talking about a warwick SSI and a spector euro, the 4 strings are probably about the most comparable in tone...it gets different if you go with say a thumb or SSII because of woods and pickup configuration...then there is the difference in scale length when you talk about 5 strings...warwick keeps the 34" scale, whereas the spector goes to 35" in the 5 string department...and again, with the SSI, the warwick that is closest to the spector, you get a 34" scale with 20mm spacing vice the spector which is a 35" scale with 16.5 - 17mm spacing...so, there are plenty of differences...I have had several of both...I keep selling warwicks when I wish I hadn't, and though I love the spectors I've had, I don't like the 35" scale

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Depends what sound you want. Also, which basses? Everyone is presuming Streamer vs. Euro or something along those lines. What does the OP mean? Technically it could be a Star Bass II vs. a Rex, who knows? We need some context.

10. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I've played multiple models from both brands. Love them both. That being said, I play a 'wick. Yet I would still love to own a Spector. And someday I will. My .02

11. Depends. For metal?

12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    +1

I have a Warwick thumb B05 and three different Spectors (Rex5, Euro4LX, Woodstock NS2J). Of the three the most comparable from a pickup standpoint is the NS2J from a string and sound standpoint it's the Rex5 and from a cost standpoint it's the Euro LX.

If it helps the OP, I like my Thumb for vintage hard rock (LZ, Black Sabbath, etc) and I like the Rex5 for modern hard stuff (AIC, etc).

Both are great brands with very diverse offerings and top quality products that range from very affordable to very expensive. I don't get the either or mentality that some on Talkbass have. My Thumb complements my Rex perfectly and They frequently back each other up on hard driving gigs.

3frontbodyshotswaralemspec.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Bwhahahaha! Now that's funny!

14. IMO, 2 different animals that shouldn't be compared. Their only similarity is the NS/Streamer body style.

My personal choice? Spector all the way. I've never met a Warwick that really WOW'd me. I've played ones that sound great, but they don't hold up to the Spectors I've played/seen/heard.

15. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Spector is my preference.

Tone, playability, build, materials, craftsmanship - are pretty similar in terms of quality, but they are all quite different.

I won't go into the backstory about the NS shape - that's been hashed to death. I am curious about the Thumb BO. The Corvette I owned was not for me.

I'm happy with my Spector Rebop, Euro and Forte. The best basses made, IMO.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If I had to choose between warwick and spector, I would go with spector because I am impressed with it's incredibly punchy sounds and their not as heavy as warwick basses. rex brown of pantera plays spector basses and that's another reason why I would to go with spector basses. speaking of pantera, you guys should check out this isolated bass track I found on youtube.

17. A prep-school kid playing a holoflash Spector covering a clanky Ibanez nu-metal line. :p Now that's funny.

Also...I want a holoflash Spector. :(

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yeah true. this guy is playing a clanky Ibanez nu-metal bassline, but with that spector bass, it sounds like a clanky Ibanez nu-metal bassline on steroids. lol still I'm impressed with how incredibly punchy it sounded. also I've been checking out spector bass demos on youtube and I do like what I hear. here's one of the clips I've checked out.

19. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I have only experience with the euro spectors- very sterile and bright basses (to my ears) beautiful craftsmanship.
    I like my warwicks-especially the vintage one, but pretty different tonally in my opinion.
    I think the NT's are better than the BO's