Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick or stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Nov 21, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i was thinkning about a wariwck, mainly for its slap tone and growl, but what do you prefer? warwick (thumb b/o, corvette) or stingray?? also, the the FNA have as much growl as other warwicks??

2. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    That one is easy, pick the one you like better. I'd take the stingray.

3. I went through the same decision when I decided to buy a new 5 string electric. I have always loved the sound of a stingray. When I went to the local music shops (about six of them) I tried about 25 basses. I tried Musicmans, Spectors, Fenders, Tobias(cheaper gibsons) and Warwicks. One shop had just received a new Warwick FNA. I A/B'd it with all the other bases, including the stingray and it won hands down. I actually liked the Warwick's "musicman" tone better than the musicman. The shop had the wrong price on the FNA (it was listed as a 4 string) so I actually paid $300 (CAN.) less for the Warwick! I find the FNA to have a nice growl to it but definately feel it has a fuller sound than the thumb basses I have tried. The FNA is also a prettier bass than the stingray :) Good Luck.

4. It's definitely a matter of personal taste.I am the proud owner of a StingRay ,but would like to snag a FNA Warwick.If you should decide to sell your bass of choice,The StingRay would probably sell quicker;however,Warwicks are great basses and they should bring you a good market price.Either is a winning hand.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  6. Both are fine basses, but I found that after I bought a 3 EQ Stingray I rarely used my Thumb's 4 & 5's anymore and eventually sold them both and bought an Anniversary Stingray as well.
    I find that as well as great sounds, the Ray is much more comfortable to wear than my Warwicks.
    But as Willie says, it's a matter of personal taste.

7. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I you want growl go warwick. I have a thumb 6 and there is no other bass on the face of the earth with more growl that the thumb. It also has amazing punch but alot of basses have great punch. If you're playing more traditional music though, i'd go with the ray. Most warwicks are quite unique sounding. For traditional rock I use my flea.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Buy one.

Save money and obsess on why you should have bought the other.

Buy the other.

I own both - bought a Warwich Corvette first then did the above. The Musicman cuts through and articulates a lot more clearly (I hear everything my fingers do), the Warwick is not as articulate but is way deeper and has heavier growl. The Warwick weighs a ton and is harder for me to jump around with (that's what I like to do), so I've been using the Musicman live, and the Warwick in the studio.

One other note: I play fairly hard, and when I first got my Warwick I kind of freaked out a little. The frets have a distinct click to them that I haven't noticed on other basses. I didn't notice it till I played with the bass in a band setting and it took some getting used to (I had to adjust my playing style a little). I also switched to nickel plated strings which took some of the top end off. The Muicman I can really dig into and not be concerned.

9. apples vs. orange
    warwick vs. stingray
    i'd go with the apple and the stingray

11. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    thanks for the link estring, that helped. i had never heard of the streamer lx model before, now ill check it out. thanks for the opinons everyone.

basslax

12. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I had a similar dilema earlier this year: thumb b/o vs. sterling. In the end I wound up with a Ken Smith BSR4M because --IMHO-- it had more growl and tonal range than the other two: you may want to check it out.

I think it's tough to go wrong with either bass, however, I think the Musicman is a slightly better value than the Thumb.

13. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'd say it comes to lasting value, but they both go for the same used. The musicman IS a musicman. It's a great bass and an industry standard for studio work, slap, etc. But it always sounds the same (IMHO). I had one and was a great bass, but car insurance sucks and I had to sell it. My warwick is an early copy of the Musicman (the fortress MM) and it has a bit more than just the FNA. But it won't nail the Musicman. And you know what? Nothing will! If you want a musicman sound, you NEED the musicman. If you want versatility, get something else. The Warwick is a good candidate, but not the only one.

Basically, in your position, I'd probably go with the Musicman. It's a great bass and sounds like what you want. It will keep its value in case you don't like the sound and you can get most of your money back if it ain't right. Or you can go to Guitar Center and get the Stingray. Screw around with it for 30 days and if you don't love it, get your money back. Have them special order the Warwick and get that. You can't go wrong!