Warwick or Yamaha

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by juantxo99, Jul 12, 2005.

1. juantxo99

Jul 11, 2005
    I want to buy a new bass.
    I´m between a WARWICK THUMB BOLT ON 5 string and a YAMAHA TRB5II.
    What´s the best bass? Can give me your opinion?

2. There's no "best bass," just try out both and get a determination of what feels more right to you.

Sorry if that is not the answer you're looking for.
  3. Yamaha and warwick have quite different tones, best way to choose is like marcusalan said: try them out - no description we can give you here will be able to better what your ears tell you...

The warwick has more growl, the yamaha is smoother...
  4. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have have them both.

TRB is more Fenderish, Thumb is more agressive with more growl, more in your face and standing in a mix. Yamaha is more polite and refined. Both B-strings are really good, even with the Thumb being 34" scale (TRB is 35"). The preamp (3-band) in the Yamaha is the weak part: the chosen frequencies to me are not the best. I always played it flat. The preamp in the Warwick (2-band) was OK. Always played it flat too, or with a little bass dialed in.

The TRB is one of the most comfortable 5-strings I have ever played: great balance, medium weight, comfy neck, nice body shape. The Thumb is 100% the opposite: the most uncomfortable bass I have ever had. Heavy, short upper horn makes the first position feel like one mile away, super chunky neck (tendonitis inducing), neck dive, super tight string spacing at the bridge (16.5 mm VS. 17 mm in the TRB).

If you play hard rock (or metal, or whatever is heavy) and you have a strong back and long arms, the Warwick might work for you. If you play all sorts of music and play standing up for hours at a time, get the TRB.

Simple choice.

Quality is good in both. I had an older TRB (circa 1998) that looked like a custom-made instrument because the attention to detail. Nowadays they are not as perfect, but still one of the best 5-strings out there. I sold the TRB in an impulse, but I want one back. In contrast, I cringe every time I see a Warwick (I also think that most Warwick models have pretty much the same design problems as the Thumb).
  5. Peik

Dec 2, 2004

As everybody else says it depends on what sound, look, fell, you are after.

But if the yamaha sounds good to you, try out the TRB5PII, thats like a custom built instrument, but built in a factory. it is neck through with bubinga, maple or ovankol top. It has a great preamp and Piezo! A great studio bass, and very flexible, it might not look rock n´roll, The sounds in it are great. Nick Fyffe, ex Jamiroquai, plays one.

6. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Are you sure?
    I think the TRB has the 19mm spacing at the bridge.

7. bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    The "old" TRB has 19mm string spacing, the TRB II & IIP Series and the "new" BB Serie have 18mm spacing on the 5 string basses!