1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick owners -- $$/Jazzman advice please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toad, Apr 4, 2006.

1. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I'm GASing for a Streamer 5 string these days; either a $$ or a Jazzman. I went down to GC yesterday to try out their Corvette counterparts thinking that, aside from the maple neck on the Streamer $$, it should give me a good idea of the bass I'll eventually order.

After playing a bit, I was thinking, for me, the most significant difference in the models would be the 3-band vs. 2-band EQ. It seemed to me while playing the Jazzman that the mid boost would be very useful in dialing in that nasty growl and potentially cutting through difficult mixes.

OTOH, I like the $$ configuration, the added oomph, and the slightly lower price tag.

So, what do you $$ owners and 2-band EQ users think? Do you ever miss the mid boost?

Thanks.

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I recently picked up the Corvette $$ and have had no problems in not having the mid boost, mixing and matching with the series, paralles ans single coil tends to allow me to overcome that quite a bit plus the fact that I prefer to mess arounf more with the EQ on the amp rather than the bass.

3. Save the extra pennies and get a Streamer Stage One. It totally owns the Jazzman and double $ tonally, wish I had saved and got one.

Out of the 2 though, as you can see, I'd go for the Jazzman - the single coil at the neck gives you some clarity to go with the thump of the bridge humbucker.

4. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
  5. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else have an opinion on the usefulness of the 3-band EQ?

6. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I own a Streamer Jazzman 5, w/ 3-band EQ, and a Corvette Proline 5, w/ 2-band.

In all honesty, while I appreciate and use the mid-range band on the Streamer Jazzman 5, I do not miss it when I am playing the Corvette Proline 5.

If your pre-amp has a mid-range band for adjustment, you should be fine.

However, if I had to choose between both basses in question, the Streamer Jazzman or Streamer $$, I would choose the Streamer Jazzman. IMO, it offers a wider palette of sounds, aggressive and smooth. The Streamer $$ is just all out aggressive.

Ted

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I say go with the 3-band. I have a Jazzman 5 and although I've only had it a few weeks I've already found myself tweaking the mid's slightly to cut through a hot mix. I hear a lot of players state that they just adjust the mids at the amp but I prefer to run my amps fairly close to flat and wouldn't really consider a bass with a 2-band pre.

8. +1.

I've found myself boosting the mids on the bass slightly to get more grit and cut on occasion, its handy to have. Plus you can scoop 'em out for killer hi fi slap tone. Well, I could if mine had frets anyway...