1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick people - adjustable string spacing question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VLADOi, Sep 30, 2008.

1. VLADOi

VLADOi

Aug 29, 2006
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    I'm thinking of getting a Warwick Corvette $$ - it seems pretty much the ideal non-custom bass for me at the moment. I'm torn between a 4 or a 5 though (getting both isn't an option at the moment). The 4 has 19mm string spacing, which is what I'm used to, and what I like to play. The 5 has 16,5mm, and they don't have the broadneck option. I sent Warwick and email asking if they have a Streamer $$ 5 with a broad neck, but apparently it's 16,5mm as well.

On various sites I've read that the Warwick bridge is so super-duper-hyper-mega magical, that you can adjust the string spacing (among other things). How true is that? I'm pretty sure you can't turn 16,5mm into 19mm, but how far can you go? I couldn't find any concrete information on that, and the Warwick manuals don't really make it clear.

Thanks, any info much appreciated.

2. You can broaden the space as far as the width of the neck allows. What I did was adjust the B and G string as far as apart as I can, place the A string at the center of the neck, then adjust the E and D strings right between the A string and the outer strings. I think I got my Fortress One 5 up to around 18mm at one point. but had to bring it back to around 17mm because it felt a bit uncomfortable in the high registers due to so little space between the G string and the edge of the neck.

3. VLADOi

VLADOi

Aug 29, 2006
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    That sounds pretty workable, thanks a lot for the answer. :)