1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick pickup anchor repair

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Evelee, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Evelee

Evelee

Nov 13, 2018
    Hi,

I have recently acquired a 2006 Warwick Corvette ash standard from ebay very cheap. Thankfully the headstock is not cracked as suspected, the neck is not warped and the tuning peg holes are not damaged. But the bridge pickup popped up recently. Having removed the pickup I've found two of the brass inserts/anchors which hold the screws have come free from the wood. These anchors are not threaded so I won't repair the wood and redrill it.

Will likely epoxy it back into place, wondered if anybody knew of any reason not to? And why are the pickup springs so damn strong (will probably find some foam instead)?

Thanks,
    Lee.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If you epoxy them in it will likely never happen again. Protect the inner threads.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ...and put washers in that rest on the inserts. The only way the inserts pulled out is if the springs are pushing on the wood and not catching the inserts. With the washers, you may not even need to glue them in.

96tbird likes this.
  4. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    these guys?

WARWICK Framus & Warwick - Threaded Insert for Pickup Mounting (M2.5 threads)

ca or epoxy will work. (i'd use ca) i've seen these pop out when people bottom out the pickup. in those cases the adjusting screws hit wood at the bottom of the insert hole and drove the insert up and out.

it could be in your case the inserts were't installed well enough and the spirings helped to pull them out. as sissy kathy states, a thin washer couldn't hurt if the spring isn't seated against the insert flange.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    sissy kathy likes this.
  5. Evelee

Evelee

Nov 13, 2018
    Pickups are single coil types, so the spring is under the pickup body and the screws and inserts are near the outside.
    The inserts look like the picture (M2.5 etc.) but not the video, they're not threaded.
    What is ca?
    Thanks.

6. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    cyanoacrylate (super glue)

do you mean that the outside of the insert isn't threaded? does it have barbs, knurls, grooves, toothy features.. etc, or is it smooth?

7. Evelee

Evelee

Nov 13, 2018
    CA, got it.
    Grooves and toothy features on the inserts. They do hold a bit when pushed in, so some sort of adhesive should do. Just need to get down to the DIY shop and be patient for it to dry, patience will be hard!!!

8. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    ok cool. either ca or epoxy will be fine. be careful not to get it the hole where the screw goes.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Use a good slow cure epoxy and give it a full 24~48 hours to cure before putting any pressure on them. To avoid problems with glue in the threads, grease up the screws that are used in them and run the screws to the bottom of the inserts then tap them in place. The screws will also serve as a guage to insure you are perpendicular to the bottom of the rout so you won’t have to deal with inserts set in crooked, and trust me, even an RCH crooked will be a major PITA

10. Evelee

Evelee

Nov 13, 2018
    Thanks for all the advice.

Used gorilla epoxy applied with a toothpick. Have replaced the pickup springs with foam and no problems for the last week!

Love this bass.

96tbird likes this.