Warwick pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cicatrice, Oct 4, 2005.

1. cicatrice

Jun 11, 2005
    Hey.. I'm looking to replace the pickups and drop a preamp in a passive '96 Warwick Corvette. While I like the stock MECs to a degree, I'm looking to get some pickups that do a little more for the bass. Right now, I'm stuck between an EMG system (active p-ups and preamp) and a Bartolini system (something like 9J's or 9CJBS's and an NTBT)-- i'm after a modern-ish tone, growly with solid mids and a punchy (rather than sparkly) high end. Has anyone tried either, or have any recommendations? I know Warwick used both Barts and EMGs at different times before switching to MECs.
  2. Bump.

I'd like to know more about this, but I suggest you use the search as well since there's quite some different topics about replacement possibilities for Warwick/MEC pickups.
  3. I don't know for sure, but does that year/model have the soapbar pickups? If so, I would take a look at the Seymour Duncan ASB and ASB2 series pickups as well, and either Seymour Duncan's preamp system or something like the Aguilar OBP-3.

And yes, there is a *ton* of useful information on here in the old threads if you're willing to do some digging.

4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    If you are looking for punchy highs you "might" find them with EMGs. EMGs can be very sparkly depending on your settings. When I want a punchy high end I have to turn off anything in the treble range to 0. Otherwise, it has as much treble as any other bass has at flat. They can be quite trebly.

EMGs can get a decent growl, but I've found Barts to much more consistent with their control of mids. Depending on the pickup type, you should have much more options with Barts.

5. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR