1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick + Piezo = MIDI trigger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by [SD], May 14, 2006.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    I'm not sure if this post should be here, if not please move it, sorry.

Well, i''ve searched the forums and still i haven't been able to clear up my mind.
    Here is the thing. I'll order a custom warwick with piezo. Now i will have a knob for the piezo and knobs for the magnetic pickus preamps a stuff like that.

If i want to control a midi unit i've read i can use the piezo. Now my questions. Do i need another conection on my bass apart from the normal jack? if so it will have to be installed like besides the jack conector? and will i be able to use my piezo mixed with the magnetics pickups and also without changing that mix or touching any controls on my bass will i be able to control the midi unit?
    And a last one...could i use any midi unit or would i need some type of special conection ?

2. My initial reaction to this;
    was kinda like when you make a weird noise and your dog looks at you with his head tilted to one side and goes "ARRRROOOOOO??" at you.

Refer us to the articles you've read, tell us what MIDI device you are using and we might be able to help you.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Like Nifty said.

Essentially, you cannot use the piezo as a MIDI controller, unless you also buy an outboard pitch-to-MIDI converter, which will work equally poorly with any type of bass pickup.

4. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
  5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    He more than mentions it. Your answers are in that thread. You need to hook your piezo into one of the onboard converters from RMC or Ghost. This will add a 13 pin output to your bass. via the 13 pin cable you can then connect to a V-Bass or a MIDI converter. If you go w/ the midi converter you can then control any midi tone module.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    +1 Yep, I just read that thread, and all the answers are there.

The one thing piezos provide, in this application, is an output signal that is easier for the RMC or Ghost convertors to read (compared to magnetic pickups). But having a piezo pickup is still many days and several hundred dollars short of having a MIDI controller.

7. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    ok so it's pretty much as i thought it was...but how good is it gonna be? better then using the magnetic pick ups right? but never as good as a midi pick up? to which is it closer to, the midi or the magnetics pick ups:confused:

8. Sadly, there really is no such thing as a "MIDI pickup". There are some pickups and buffer/controller boards that are meant for use with the 13 pin connection used by the Roland, Yamaha and Axon MIDI converters and synths but all of these utilize either a piezo setup or a small dedicated magnetic pickup. Bass to MIDI conversion does not work all that well, partially because of the low frequencies involved and the latency of the frequency detection. Even Axon (probably the best out there) admits that their converter does not work as well with bass as with guitar.

There was someone making a pitch midi circuit board meant to be buried inside a guitar but it was kind of large and I did not hear the best thing about it compared to the external converter boxes.

The synths that work with the 13 pin signal directly without the additional step of converting to MIDI work a little better as they remove a little bit of the latency and frequently have options to process each string separately, which can be pretty cool.

The way to get low latency and good tracking with bass may be to set the bass up as a piccolo and then use the converter to pitch shift the MIDI and or synth audio ouput down to the standard bass pitch.

Hope this helps and does not add to the confusion.

Peace,
    S

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [SD], please go into the "pickups and electronics" forum, and search on the word "piezo", and read EVERYTHING that comes up. Even if English is possibly your second language, you should be able to get some understanding from the posts that are already there. I know for a fact that there are posts that explain exactly what a piezo is, how it works, what it sounds like, etc.