WArwick players - Are Corvette necks slimmer than Thumb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Sep 17, 2005.

1. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Hey Warwick experts,

I have played a Thumb. I didn't like the feel of the neck. I am looking for a fretless and am thinking Corvette, but I am wondering if the neck is a "chunky" as the Thumb was?

I like the tone of a Warwick. I think the "growl" would be great for a fretless.

I currently play a Yamaha BB605 (with Bart electronics) if that gives you an idea of the neck I like. Kind of flat with fairly narrow string spacing.

Thanks for any insight.
  2. As far as I know, all of the bolt-on Warwicks use the same neck. In other words, a Thumb Bolt-On 5 and a Corvette Standard 5 will have the same neck. The pre-99 Wenge-necked Warwicks have a slimmer neck profile than the later Ovangkol versions. My 98 Corvette has a pretty nice profile, definitely less chunky than my G&L L-2500. See if you can get a hold of a Warwick made before 1999.
  3. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    yeah if you didnt like the corvette then i would stay away from all of them! But i think you can get a wide neck????
  5. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Wide and thick necks have a lot of major advantages. Unfortunately the norm is basses made for and played by people who are not willing to work a bit to make a superior sound. If you played a big neck for a while you might get used to it and then you can play better and have a better tone.
  6. I play a fender jazz 5, but I just met a guy that had a Warwick Corvette fretless 5 and tried his out. I could DEFINATELY get used to that neck! Not too much difference and he had his set up low and fast! GAS to the max! I have a Fortress 4-string fretless right now, but I'm really thinking seriously about changing that over to a 5. I miss my low B. I would take the Corvette in an instant after playing his! +1!

Whatever you do, don't compare to a fretted Warwick; it felt TOTALLY different and the frets seemed high to me, even compared to my Fender. Go out and find a Corvette fretless to play! That's the only way you'll know for sure. Comments are great, but ultimately it's up to you.

How many times does it have to be said in these threads???
    TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! :bassist:
  7. RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Warwick BO necks are the same. You can read the specs on their website. The fretless ones do feel different, slimmer, slicker. My fretless Corvette has the sexiest feeling neck I've tried yet. Some of the NT necks feel slimmer, but I don't know if there is a real difference (perhaps another topic).