Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick players, please step in

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nismaniac, Aug 21, 2005.

1. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    I have a Warwick Corvette 6 string that I have had for quite awhile now. I haven't used it live for the last 3 or 4 years because it is obviously very heavy and I've been enjoying my Laklands. But recently I've been playing it more and more and I think I'm ready to bring it back out.

My question is regarding strings. What strings do you guys like on your Warwicks. It has the bubinga body and Wenge neck/fingerboard. I usually use stainless steel strings but I'm not opposed to Nickels if they have good clarity and definition. Also, I only use tapered B strings. I appreciate any recomendations guys and gals.

Thanks,
    Austin

2. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i just put a set of DR high beams, on my 4 string vet, sound is nice and deep but also nice and clear and punchy.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    D'addario XL170's

4. either DR or D'dario will work, or GHS strings, but not labella..

5. I like DR Fat Beams after they're really broken in.

6. DR High Beams.

7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    warwick black label medium light

8. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I used to play with Conklin Snakeskins strings. It's great, very clear, with brightly punch.

9. ale_vanlager

ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY
    Elixir nanowebs on my Corvette standard 6 and Rotosounds swing bass RS 666LD on my Proline 6 and my Streamer LX 6. I will try the Rotos on the standard as soon as the Elixirs die. I have tried Ken Smith Rock Master-Mediums with good results, but they tend to die quicker than the Rotos or Elixirs (no surprise there). Good luck!

10. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    i use Elixirs.. gotta love em.. :)

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I own a SSII5, a NT Thumb-4, and a Corvette fretless-4. They all get DR High Beams, nuthin else!

12. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    TI jazz rounds on Corvette fretless 4 with low action. Sweeeeet! But always lookin for something different. :bassist:

13. I don't have a Warwick at the moment, but my last one was a Corvette 6 standard. I got it used, & it came w/what the seller told me were Thomastiks. They had green silk, were very light-gauge(which I like), had very low tension & were very flexible. This bass had an AWESOME vintage-Fender tone. Not like any Warwick I had ever played(I've owned over a dozen). What was also interesting was that I tried swapping the strings w/some Ken Smith Rockmasters I had on a BSR-6, also throwing the TI's on the Smith. The results wer that the Smith sounded the same for the most part, but the 'wick lost a lot of the 'vintage vibe'- it sounded very 'stainless steel', if that makes any sense. If that 'vette had a bit wider spacing I would still have it, not my Stambaugh. ;)

Edit: On my Thumb 4 bolt-on(absolute favorite, I just don't play 4s much), I liked Ken Smith Rockmasters- .100-.80-.60-.40 or similar-gauged DR High Beams.

14. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    Awesome, thanks for the replies fellas. I've got to have a taper B string though, so I may look into the Warwick strings because I know they have a taper B.

15. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Wow... Am I the only one who uses flatwounds on his corvette? I am using a set of chromes.

16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I don't have 1 anymore but I used to use DR Lo Riders on my thumbs

17. I got used to DRs being a bit tough on my fingers cause I loved their tone...

...then one day I thought I'd try some Warwicks. Big mistake! Trashed my fingers and lost all their sparkle really quickly.

So it's back to DRs. Just Hi Beams - those Marcus Millers don't do it for me - nor do any of the others I've tried.

But if they're a bit expensive for those lean months, go with rotosounds.

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I thought Jimmy Earl and some of the other Warwick endorsees used flats as well.

As for me, I use SIT Silencers pressurewounds gauged 45-100. They take some of the harsh edginess off the top end and add warmth & fatness, but still enable lots of growl and a full-bodied slap tone. Plus they feel really smooth. For my playing style and the type of tone I like, SIT Silencers and my 1997 Corvette Standard are a match made in heaven.

SIT strings are easily my favorite brand, as they're great strings at great prices. And they are available in taperwounds. And SIT does their own winding, so it's not rebadged...although many string brands *do* use rebadged SIT's.