Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick players! what strings do u use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fretless85, Aug 18, 2003.

1. if just got my new bass its an 1993 warwick corvette proline........ and now im thinking about some new strings for my baby, so what strings do u use for ur warwick?

2. I like the Warwick yellow label on my corvette and Streamer.

3. I don't own one. But I would either put High Beams, or EXPs on it.

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i am getting a corvette standard which is similar and have been recomended warwick black labels in the shop

5. any experience whats sounds the best on warwick basses?

6. I've heard how a warwick sounds with either the yellow label strings or high beams and I love how the sound with high beams.

7. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I use D'Adarrio Slowounds on my Thumb Bass BO 5. They don't have much high end, which helps tone down the bass's natural brightness. If you like a lot of treble, please disregard this suggestion.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    my corvette is excessively bright sounding. it was advised when i bought it, because of my playing style, to use nickel strings to cut down on the clacking sound i seemed unable to control. it didn't really help. i play my music man all the time now. that helped.

i use d'addario nickel roundwounds.

9. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Dr's High beams and Low Riders are my top choice. However, I have to put the B-sring "O" washer in a vice and crimp to for an oblong washer so that the B will fit into the bridge. Elixirs for fretless are fine, but it takes a few days for them to settle down and still the B-string needs some minor crimping to fit into the bridge valley. Carvin strings don't work, too much tapering and not as good as DR, Elixir, Thomastik I., or GHS-Boomers(fairly decent String), in that order.

10. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I swithed back and forth bewteen DR HiBeams, Elixers and R'Cocco. I feel that the R'Cocco strings sound best on my Corvette FNA JazzMan 5. They give the most balanced sound when playing fingerstyle while still giving that thump when slapping. The HiBeams are a little to bright, maybe because my Warwick is quite bright on it's own. It's got an ash body with maple top and a wenge neck and fingerboard.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    LaBella Deep Talkin' S/S Rounds 44-110 with my '87 Streamer. Thick and mellow which perfectly complements the amazing growl and brightness of the bass. Had the same set on there for almost 3 years!

Alex

12. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I have a Corvette Std 5 passive. No much string choices in my country.

I've had good results with SIT Powerwounds (nickel). Right now I have D'Addario XL 170-5 on it (my preferred string on my jazz) but it doesn't work on the Warwick. It gets too dark and blurred, but the B string is definitely better.

Next month I'll be buying SITs again, or maybe Blue Steels or GHS Super Steels (anybody uses these brands on Warwicks?).

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've had D'Adarrio, DR, SIT, Warwick, GHS, Ken Smith, just to name a few, and the one that I actually like on Warwicks are Carvin Nickel's which essentially are La Bella's. I go with the lights, and they really give it a nice feel and sound, and for the money you can hardly go wrong.

14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I have tried various brands on my old cheapola basses, and ended up quite liking Elite's. When I got my first Warwick, I really liked the factory fitted Black Label strings, so I've stuck with them. On my fretless corvette, I use Roto's Stainless halfwounds, for maximum zing, and less finger noise, and fretboard grindage.

15. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    My only problem is that they went dead fast this time. That is not normal for Cocco's. I sweat a lot and we played a gig in a very hot and humid environment. My strings where dead after that gig(2nd gig with the strings). I had gotten used to the Elixers...

Now I'm thinking about Spector strings... Anybody have experience with these?

16. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Can anyone tell me how to string a Warwick with non-tapered strings???? This is driving me nuts. I had a Warwick two years ago and couldn't fit DR Hi Beams into the tuning machines so I used Warwick Black Label strings, but I just bought another Warwick and broke the G string after three days, yes I know, my technique needs work, but regardless of that I'm really just hoping someone can tell me, show me, demonstrate to me in some way how to fit a set of DR Hi Beams onto a Warwick. Please.

17. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    Hi-Beams or Lo-riders

18. On my Dolphin the DR's low Riders are the best!!! :bassist:

19. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
    I like the Black label strings. I own a Rockbass corvette SE and a Rockbass Vampire.

[​IMG]

I love that Vampire :bassist:

20. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams, no question.