Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Jan 9, 2003.

1. I have a Warwick Fortress One, and I almost always use it with my bass, mid, ande treble knobs completely cut. If I set them all flat, (in the center position), my bass just sounds way too bright and brittle. My question is this: Is it the fault of the preamp, or the bass itself. I mean, is that the reall "natural" sound of my bass, or is the MEC preamp making it brighter than it should be?

The other thing is the push/pull volume knob. Does anyone know what the deal with it is? I'm assuming it deactivates the preamp, but to me, it just makes the bass sound awfull.

So would it be a good idea to replace the preamp, or maybe the pickups, or both? I don't want the sound of the bass to be colored, and I just need to know what the MEC electronics are really doing to the sound. Thanks

2. Anybody?

3. Thanks. There's something else I'm curious about. If I change the preamp in my bass does that mean I would have to change the knob configuration? If so, it sounds like a real pain.

4. What do you think of the idea of having a boost only EQ? What preamps out there are like that? (I only know of the Aguilar).

5. Do most preamps have a passive option that bypasses the electronics? It would be a nice thing to have. I just found out that the MEC preamp on my bass isn't like this, and the push/pull volume knob just turns off the EQ. The preamp still affects the sound after the knob has been pulled up.

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    There is a bassists at are church that has a Warwick Thumb bolt-on 5.she took out the stock MEC pickups/preamp and replace them with 2 Bartolini soapbar pickups/the Bartolini NTMB 3-band eq preamp.These changes has made a world of a difference for this bass.The lows/mids are real tight and clean.

7. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I belive that Bartolini has preamp that has characteristics you desire. I think it's HR 4.6 A/P model.
    As for the pups I can recommend EMG which work excellent with my Fortress One 5.