1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick preamps?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone know where I can score one? I have a passive Corvette that I want to put their active preamp into.

2. Try DANA B. GOODS,
    They are the US distributor for warwick and they usually have all the goodies and replacement parts.

I don't know if you're interested, but I have a set of MEC gold pu's from my streamer stageII if you are interested.

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    What's the diff between the gold ones and the ones in the passive corvette? You wanna sell your preamp?

4. i have the pickups & preamp from a corvette proline if you're interested....make me an offer! trades are good too

5. Hey mactac, can I ask what you put in your bass in place of the MEC's? I'm thinking of replacing mine in my Corvette Standard, but I'm not completely sure what I want to replace them with yet. Thanks!!

6. i put EMG's into it.... it changed the sound a bit...gave it a more 'open' tone

7. Thanks mactac, I've been considering Nordstrand pup's. I hate to spend the money without a pretty good idea what the sound will be like though.

8. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    check out the dimarzio ultra jazz too. That's what I put in my warwick. Love 'em...

9. actually, if you want to hear what the emg's sound like, i recorded a riff with the corvette

www.orange-records.com/warwick/

i also recorded some with my thinb bass as well, with the stock pu's.

you might have to download them 1st, because they are wav files & might skip if you stream them

10. Thanks. They sounded great! Also, jzucker and mactac what preamp did you put in there? Did you just change the pup's with out a new preamp or did you change the whole setup? I've never changed anything before and I'm kind of ignorant on the subject. Thanks again!!

11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    mactac - that recording of your Thumb bass..i know zilch about Warwicks, but are they fitted with Warwicks own Jazz pups, and are all Thumbs fitted with the same , whether old or new ? And does your Thumb have Warwicks own preamp, or is it passive ?

12. the corvette has EMG pickups with passive electronics (basically othing other than a tone control), so what you're hearing is essentially the pickups.

The thumb is stock. ie MEC pickups (this is warwick's own brand) & MEC active electronics. Warwick puts these electronics & pickups in most of their basses unless they are custom ordered with something different

13. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    perfect answer - cheers !

14. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Dammit - Macatac, checked the MEC website and basically, theres 2 sets of preamps, for either passive pups or active pups.

So would a Thumb have passive MEC's with the corresponding preamp, or Active MEC's with the other corresponding preamp ?

http://www.mec-pickups.de/

15. hmmm.. i have no idea. i *think* the pickups might be active, but i don't know for sure. maybe check the specs on the thimb bolt-on on their site?

16. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Good idea - check coming up!

The pups look different to each other though - at least on the MEC site anyways. If they havent changed the look, then they should be identifiable

17. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Well that was quick - your Thumb ( if bolt on ), according to Warwick, has active J's with BEC II 2 band Pre. :)

Thumb 4 has same pups but BEC III 3 band pre

18. oh, ya, sorry.. it is the 2 band pre (it's a thumb5 btw).. so I think you're right....

19. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Sorted :)

20. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Does anyone know if all MM style pups, whether original or other makes ( MEC , SD, etc ) are similar sizes or do they differ slightly ?

I'm toying with the idea of whether i can slip a couple of MM's in my bass - just need to know either the size of the pups, or size of the cavity required, or both.

Get yer tape measures out ;)

On a side note, are they all black, or does anyone make cream coloured MM pups -