1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Pro Series Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Herrick, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Here's the story. I've been playing a P Bass for almost a year (maybe longer) since I got back into the world of Bass. Over the last few weeks I've been listening to & enjoying other bass sounds that come from two single-coil pickups. So naturally, I've been thinking a lot about Jazz Basses. However, I think the Warwick Corvette looks much cooler and I like the sounds I've heard from them.

So Herrick's question is how do they compare to P Basses as far as weight & playability go? I see that the nut width on the Pro Series Corvette is much closer to a Jazz Bass. How big is the body size compared to a P Bass? It didn't look too big when Ed Friedland reviewed one. Assuming the truss rod is close to straight, will I be able to get very low action with minimal or no fret buzz?

2. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    Pro Series (Korea) or ProLine (Germany)??

the body on a Corvette is smaller than a PBass.. the Vette feels much different than the typical precision.. i moved from a jazz to the Vette Proline, and there was an adjustment period.. i had to rethink how i played.. but once i made the adjustment, it's my first pick to play..

it weighs around 10lbs, but seems pretty well balanced.. it's not headstock heavy.. the neck is like a very fast Jazz bass neck.. my ovangkol neck feels very smooth.. it's a great bass.. the MEC 2 band is very good, although i wish i had a mid control.. it has a wide range of useable tones.. although, it cuts like a knife through the mix and has a very aggressive tone.. it's easy to get it to growl.. it does have a particular tone that i've not had with any of my other basses..

the only real gripe i have with Warwick are the tuners.. the ferrules do not want to tighten down/stay tight and they are loose in the tuner holes of the headstock.. this apparently is an issue with Warwick tuners..

it's a good choice, all around..

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Tell Herrick that i too am a p bass guy but that I really like the corvette proline bass. I didn't find the neck chunky at all and the bartolini pickups sounded really full and rich in lowend or could sound growly if that was the sound you were looking for. I wasn't crazy about the body shape, particularly the upper horn jutting out but I guess i could get used to it. The one I played was blue, german made, lightweight and felt very solid. The action was super low with little fret buzz. Would I trade my mij pb70 bass for it? Not a chance but it is still a great bass.

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

New Corvette Pro series? You must mean the newer Korean ones. Anyway a P bass like most Fenders have much wider spacing by the bridge 19 mm on most if I’m not mistaken. Converting to a Warwick (unless a braodneck) will feel pretty tight at least at first since they are 17 mm. I would also say the tone of either a jazz or a P is unmistakably the tone of bass throughout most top recordings it’s what we sort of grew up on as proper tone of that instrument. Although self-declared Warwick fan boy they don’t emulate that at all in my book. I like it better but I’m not looking for that conventional tone. I think any Fender compared to what a Warwick feel and tone gives is about as far as Australia to Venus. For me it’s exactly what I was looking for but you may want to look at more traditional stuff at least test drive that stuff first before taking a plunge and pulling a trigger on a Warwick purchase. JM2C

johnny_bolt likes this.
  5. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    If the tuners are loose in the headstock, you should replace them asap. It could cause some damage to the wood. Ireplaced mine on my corvette with gotoh tuners. They fit like a glove and dont have any rattly loose tuners :) they look great too!

johnny_bolt likes this.
  6. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Thanks for the replies, people :) I forgot to mention that I'm looking at the Korean-made passive Corvettes. I know they won't sound like Fenders but I think I can be happy with them as long as I can get a deep bass sound out of them. Unfortunately, playing before purchasing is not an option.

7. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Well, I just bought a Germang-made Corvette Standard with passive pickups for $900 that's supposed to be in new condition. That seemed like a good deal because they appear to be kinda rare. Figured I could resell if for that much if I dislike it.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  8. Corvettes rare? They seem to me to be the most common Warwick, and $900 is a bit steep(IMO)for one; I couldn't move a wenge-necked Thumb BO-4 for that recently. Whatever floats your boat, though. :) Also- someone mentioned spacing- Two-piece bridge models are adjustable and can do 19mm(4-string)or tighter.
    Edit: if you meant German being rare, that makes sense

9. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Yup, I meant the Germang-made one. Many of the ones on eBay are the Pro Series (Korean-made) or the Rockbass (China-made). I wouldn't have had any problem with the Pro Series but I think I'd have a better chance of re-selling the German-made close to the price I'm getting it for. What do you think of the price for German-made? I don't know how much they sold for when they were in production :meh:

Oh yeah the one I'm getting is Ash. It should lighter than my P Bass which is what I want. My P Bass is close to 9 lbs.

10. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Is it a 4 or 5er? German made passive.... rare. Prolines are awesome and if it is a 5er and you dont like it.... PLEASE pm me.... I will definitely take that off your hands for $900. Wait...... how old is it?

11. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    It's a passive 4-string made in 2008. Are you looking for an active or passive German-made 5-string? I see a couple on there but I think they're active.

12. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Passive OR active... doesn't matter to me man. I would love a 6er BUT I'm sure you've seen those prices.... WOW... not in my price range at the moment... I have my eye on one of those new rockbasses that they came out with last year... made in China (not so hapy about that) but they have decent reviews and they hit the price point of <$600USD. Once i save up enough I'm splurging on a Corvette 6er... German of course...

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The german made ones are nice and generally get great reviews.

14. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Well there are a couple German-made 5-string Corvette Standards on eBay. They're both $1000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Warwic...1210463706547677848&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-1999-W...D-/251117259956?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a77c14cb4

15. You paid way too much... You can get a Warwick Corvette for $600-750 used anyday of the year. Also Corvette's sound like P-basses' more than it sounds like a Jazz. I've played Corvettes and have analyzed a lot of clips and tracks with them.

16. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    So wait, the German made passive Corvette Standards are rare? That's exactly what I have!

17. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Herrick - Thanks for the links! they are sweet but if I do get a German 'Wick... it'll be my beloved Vette 6er... seen them on eBay for about $2500. I'm a 6 string guy, but for my first bass back in the mix... I'm going start with 5, then get my 6er later. I haven't been very fortunate the last few years and my ex-wife convinced me to never buy another bass after my old one went down the tubes. But I got rid of her, so I'm back on it again. LOL

18. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Profania_bass - I haven't seen very many, and I've been tracking 'Wicks for about 3 years now. I could be mistaken, but I know that most GERMAN 'Wicks are active. Most do have active/passive switches though, so passive play isn't out of reach for a German Warwick.

19. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    nice.. an ash, passive Corvette..

my tuners threaded ferrules keep loosening, it does seem like this is an issue with warwick tuners.. there is a guy here on TB that makes custom brass threaded ferrules specifically for warwick tuners.. it's an exact fit for the tuner hole and the ferrule is a little longer than the stock one.. i haven't bought a set from him just yet..

anyway.. congratulations on your new (to you) Warwick.. ;)

20. Tommy Lotus

Tommy Lotus

Oct 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Xsonics Bass Cabs, S.I.T Strings, and ESP Power Cords
    Just found this on ebay, it's fretless but great price so far:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warwick-Corvette-6-string-bass-FRETLESS-made-in-Germany-w-Warwick-soft-case-/170890319203?pt=Guitar&hash=item27c9db5563