Warwick ProM dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I bought a ProM 5 as a backup to my Spectors. I have had 2 Corvette 5's in the past and they both kept up close in output and sound to the Spectors, but the ProM with it's goofy twin J pup does not at all. I'd say Warwick missed the 'sweetspot' placement of the pup because you can obviously see the pup is about an inch too far from where the optimum string vibration would be...it lacks alot of rich lows.

I put in a duncan preamp and it helped bring in more lows, but the stock pup/location is the biggest problem. I've thought of getting a new Duncan twin J pup made, but it seems to me the only way to get the rich boomy lows I'm looking for is to rout the body to install a J pup in the neck position.

What do you guys think? keep it? Or sail it on down the road?
    I love the feel of the bass and I bought it cheap enough, but I don't know if I really want to (irreversibly) modify a bass this way.
  2. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    sincerely , i wouldn't keep it... maybe you can trade it for another corvette with same financial value.

in general I don't like the sound of the basses which are equiped with that MEC twin j pup, even the infinity, which is like "expensive".
    if the problem is with the seet spot there's nothing you can do... even if you trade that pup with another, the sound "captation" (?!?!) will never be optimal.

anyway, a corvette proM? isn't it a streamer proM? to my knowledge there's never been a corvette proM... the only corvette with a single pup is the FNA , which currently is not anymore on production.

c ya
  3. for about 3 days. I love Warwicks in general, but also found that the Streamer Pro M 5 just wasn't lively -- really lacking in "oomph."

I now have a 5-string Fortress One (with 2 separate J-style pickups), which RULES. I also just bought a Streamer LX 4-string on Ebay; it should arrive late this week or early next week.

Oh, by the way, if you want more lows, DON'T buy a Thumb 5 because the "neck" pickup on the Thumb 5 is still pretty close to the bridge.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, I think I'll probably be putting it up for sale shortly. I really don't want to go cutting any wood to get the sound I need...the Thumb sound just isn't me.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

BTW, i shat my pants once i saw what you BIN'd that thing for. :eek:

good score, but now i hate you ;)