Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Quad VI head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Sep 30, 2002.

1. http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps11.htm
    Anyone ever plug into one of these rigs? They look fantastic and BP mag did a very intriguing review of one in the July 2001 issue. they have three 12AX7's and one EL84; a built-in IOD of sorts. The quadrumatrix control offers up some interesting twists as far as tone knobs go...Anybody have any experiance with these??

[​IMG]

2. Not one person has ever touched nor seen a Warwick bass head..? Not even the Qudruplet preamp or the IV model head? No feedback at all huh.....? Dangnabbit. I think somebodies holdin' out on me...

3. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi,

Since no real information seems to be forthcoming, I'll relate my short experience.

I tried the Quad VI at a store, it was connected to some Warwick 4x10. I tried it with a Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman (er, you know, the one with the MM + J pickup combination). It was not my bass, so I don't know its sonic qualities.

Enough of a disclaimer. The Quad VI performed quite nicely. It had a very warm and somewhat "neutral" sound. The sound presets were nice and gave a quick change in the sound. But I felt the warmth and neutrality stayed with it the whole time. In a way it seemed a bit bland for my tastes.

It left me intrigued though. What would it actually sound like with a bass that I knew etc. Somehow I feel that the "blandness" I mentioned above was more a afactor of the Corvette than the amp.

So there. At least a few words of information.

4. i tried the Warwick Quad IV, and i didn't like it...seemed a bit noisy etc, i was trying it through a warwick 410 but i tried the 410 with an ashdown head and it sounded cool, so it was defiantly the head i didn't like :)

the Quad VI might be a different kettle of fish though

*Si*

5. I've never had the chance to try any Warwick amp, but i'm curious too... By the way: is there someone out there who can tell me something about the Pro Tube IV? I am interested in that one...

6. I've never had the chance to try any Warwick amp, but i'm curious too... By the way: is there someone out there who can tell me something about the Pro Tube IV? I am interested in that one...

7. Very interesting...? I have heard that "neutral" thing B4 with this head..too bad. You'd think a SS head with an EL84 power section would have a bit o' snarl and booty or something...I do know for a fact that the electronics in Corvettes are exceedingly bland. I helped a friend replace his MEC crap with my old Bartolini's and the difference was enormous? I suppose neutral isn't really a "bad" thing...as long as it wasn't "bland."

8. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    MadSubWoofer, I have actually liked the sound of MEC equipped Bubinga-bodied Corvettes. But that Jazzman might have been a another cup of tea. It has an ash body, if I remember correctly. So it might have been the bass too.

But anyway, the amp didn't impress me right away like the EBS Fafner or the Ashdown ABM 500.

Oh well, since I'm looking for an amp and a cab, maybe I'll go back and try the Warwicks too...

9. The terribly bland Corvette I tried was a maple one.
    If you try the Warwick amp again, please let me know? I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks!

10. AllStringedUp

AllStringedUp

Mar 4, 2008
    Hi, Im very familiar with the Warwick Quad IV Head.

And personally I think it is a wonderful amplifier, especially with a Warwick 411 Neo. The combanation of the Quadmatrix and the Horn developes an extremely broad range of tones, colour and contours to play out. Honestly you couldn't go wrong with a 600W Quad IV and the 411 Neo. It produces Harmonics clearly and loudly amongst the variety of tones you can use while maintaining power and tone. I normally use this set up with my Warwick Corvette which is like Sex in a Pan. Also they both aren't to terribly heavy to carry the 411 Neo being on 36 lbs and the Quad IV (once you get a rack) only abit heavier than the Neo.

My rating for both the 411 Neo and Quad IV 10/10

11. Hey another Quad IV-owner :D Not too many of us, I think.

But I agree: it is a great amp. I use mine with Hartke cabs (410XL and VX410, but I want another 410XL or a 215XL). With my EBMM SUB4 plugged in, it rocks the world.
    Too bad they are discontinued and this thread a six-year old one ;)