Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Quadruplet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jun 7, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not much info on this preamp in the archives.
    How does it sound and compare to other preamps out there? In sound, quality and versatility?
    Is it really up in the Demeter-Aguilar-Kern-league?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I´ve seen that. Great site!
    What I was looking for was more like peoples opinions (reviews)and comparisons. I think it´s quite hard to tell what a preamp sounds like through my computer speakers.:meh:

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    oh ok, well then i guess i can't get off that easy huh.

to me, the Quad was the biggest surprise of the test - of course you expect the Demeter to sound amazing, and this preamp to sound that way, la la la... but the Quad totally surprised me in that ALL the sounds I got from it were totally useable, and above all else, it was simply addictive to play - even with 15 other amazing preamps sitting around, I still wanted to plug into the Warwick.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not selling my DB680. The Warwick was great, but IMHO not in the same style as the 680, demeter, and kern, which is where I prefer to roam. The Warwick doesn't have nearly the class or beauty, and sounds more balls out than refined.

I'd say the Warwick is best suited to rock and blues, but it's pretty easy to coax almost any useable tone from it, especially with the extensive midrange control. It tended to get a little hissy however... all in all, a great preamp that i'm sure would sound incredible with a Warwick bass - just the think to add life into those hard woods.

hope that helps! let me know if you have specific questions...

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot.
    Just what I wanted to know.:)

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have a Quadruplet, which I'm selling, but not because I don't like it.

It's an amazingly configurable preamp, the 4 bands with lo/high boost plus mid1/mid2 shifts * the 4 frequency curves available via the quadrumatrix knob gives a huge amount of flexibility.

I've been able to get great sounds out of it for a Warwick Thumb, Status T-Bass, Fender Hot Rod P, Musicman Stingray and Lakland 55-02. Good rock / pop / funk tones, that's all I've tried since that's pretty much all I do!

Todd is right that it can get a bit hissy in the high end, but nothing like the ampeg svp-pro.

One last very cool thing. The quadrumatrix knob has four positions, and the last two engage an extra tube stage to simulate a power amp. So the first two positions give you a pretty hifi sound, whereas the last two are warmer.

Main reason I'm selling it is that I'm trying to reduce the flexibility I have in live situations! Give me five available eq knobs and I'll use them constantly during a set to make a little tweak here and there. I've really gotten into the simplicity of the Alembic/Kern type of preamp, where I pretty much leave it flat and boost low end etc onboard whatever bass I'm playing.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is the "crunch" knob any good? How does the overdrive compare with other units, like the SVP, SansAmp, etc?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It does a fairly decent mild o/d, I don't use it too much as I prefer to have it under control of a pedal when playing out. I wouldn't compare it to an SVP tho'.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, geshel liked it so much he bought the preamp ;)

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Im thinking about buying a quad to warm up my sound a little, I find my Pro Fet IV a little too 'clean', do you think im better running the pre into my current amp (into the FX return) or selling the head and getting a power amp???

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you want to stay with the head setup, you could sell the profet and get the Quad IV
    or Quad VI hybrid heads. These have the quadruplet preamp built in.

Or if you want to go pre/power setup there's always that route too. I don't know what the prices on QSC stuff are like in the UK.