Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick quality issues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, I know most of us TBers here are constantly dealing with GAS and that means checking out new basses as much as we can and planning ahead when getting one. My next bass has been scheduled for around next summer, and I have been looking into Warwicks as one of the few choices for my someday-to-be new fretless. Mm, Corvette Proline, Streamer LX or Infinity SN..

However, I was shocked to talk with one fellow bassist over the web today, him telling me he has had some very serious issues with his Warwicks. According to him, his FNA Jazzman's neck became crooked after a while, he replaced it with Infinity SN and now there has appeared a largish gap on one side of the neck glue joint.

Anyone of you guys can comment on this issue? Is there a danger in buying a new Warwick? Has their quality gone downhill? Do you know any Warwicks that have had problems?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've only played a few "new" warwicks (new to me means ovangkol neck) and they all seemed within 90% of my 98's. still really nice basses, but not QUITE as nice as the wenge necked ones. still have the playability and the tone for sure, but i've never owned a a warwick not built in 1998 so i can't tell you about the reliability of later ones. i know for a FACT my 98's are built like tanks (with the exception of the preamp :rolleyes: ). i haven't heard anything about the new ones aside from them being rock solid high end basses though.

(get one with a wenge neck and brass nut tho, thats the true way to be 3l337 ;) )

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've had 2 "new" Warwicks and I didn't have ANY problems. Keep in mind, it is possible for some things to fall through the cracks, and Warwick is always there to correct the problems. Having some things fall through the cracks is one thing, but what happens afterwards?

4. it depends, the Rockbasses are poor poor poor quality.I work at a small store and albany and we sell them and i think they are the worst type of basses you could have.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i REALLY disagree. i think they're on par with any of the other "big name" overseas basses like the skyline or the kingston.

and the woodchuck's right, DbG and Warwick's support is 1st class.

6. I have 3 Warwicks - a '94 Fortress, a '97 Corvette Fretless, and a '99 Streamer LX. I've burned up a couple of output jacks on the Fortress, but have not had any other problems.

Warwick started cutting corners a little in the early to mid 90's, started using that crappy plastic nut instead of the fully adjustable brass nuts. Also started going to cheaper woods.

They're still great basses. I use my '99 Streamer LX as my main bass.

7. yeah but skylines are really really nice basses.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's my point, so are the rockbasses.

9. not to me we get them shipped weekly and i dont like the rock bass, none the less i dont like warwicks

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Gal: As for your sig, I'm praying for you man!

11. yeah, the bassist in my band is part of HCBF and his sn on there is Orion5 he is alright just i think i get a better tone than he does. but yeah I NEED TO PLAY BASS IN A BAND PM ME IF U LIVE IN THE ALBANY AREA

12. Funny how BassPlayer Magazine rated the Rockbass extremely high both in quality and value. I continue to rave about the quality of my 2000 Warwick SS 2, even though I continue checking out other high-end basses when the opportunity presents itself. Even the new Warwick "crappy plastic nut" (as some suggest) is something that I like, since adjusting the nut while strung and tuned is a big plus for me. ;)

13. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    my 1999 thumb is rock solid and sounding and playing like a dream. I had to get a wire of the preamp soldered, but apart from that, I had nothing even close of a problem.

Don't let yourself stop from getting one (if you really like them) because one or two people on the internet are gossiping about a quality drop. Just go out and try some yourself!

Marijn

14. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've never owned a Warwick, but there are about 20 of them in a local shop and the ones I've played were very good. The one I liked most was a Rockbass...

15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i currently own 2 warwicks: a 96 thumb 6 b.o. and a 98 fna 4. they both have marvellous tone and i don't have a single complaint about them except maybe for the weight of the 6. other than these 2, i have played just about every warwick that has waltzed through the entrance of the bass palace in the last 4 years or so. well over 100. i have also played several rockbasses (9?). i would NOT compare them to a skyline, an import spector, a yamaha, or even a mij/m fender. i think that squier is a better deal for the money. frankly, i think that warwick should be ashamed to have their name associated with this junk. i wouldn't buy one as a junker for my kid. i'm not saying they shouldn't produce an affordable bass, i'm saying that if they do it should live up to at least SOME of their values associated with other instruments. why not start making guitars while they are at it. of course this is my opinion and every one is entitled to their own but i can't think of a bigger waste of money than a rockbass...

16. I have a 2001 FNA Jazzman 5 and it's perfect: playability, construction, sound.
    I have played a 1988 SS1 which was really nice (for 900€ used, but I did not buy it as it's a 4 string), but that did not make my FNA feel "cheap" in any way.
    Woods are different, but both are top-notch basses.

Play it, listen to it, feel it, close your eyes and forget anything people may have tell you.

17. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I have wanted a Warwick for eons. I was almost tempted to buy a Rock Bass, especially after the Bass Player article. I am glad I thought it over, I found a used Thumb Bolt On on Ebay for only $200 more than I would have paid for the Rock Bass.
    As for the quality of Warwicks, one of the reasons I got one was because of the praise of Warwicks quality and customer service. I dont think you have a reason to be concerned. No matter what you buy, however high quality it is, there is always chance that their is one bad one out of the 1000 good ones.

18. The only problems I've consistently seen with Warwicks are with the MEC electronics. The numbers of these problems I've seen recently has decreased so maybe MEC's got its act together. I've heard that Dana B. Goods is very accomodating in dealing with any problems. Good for them! I will say that the Warwicks I've heard with Bartolini or EMG pickups/electronics always sounded better than their MEC equipped counterparts to me, though. YMMV

19. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i have a 97 thumb 5 and i have had a 2000 thumb 5,2001 thumb bolt 5, 2000 infinity 5 and i just got a dolphin sn 5. i've never been impressed with the bolt-ons. the neck throughs are incredible. the set neck is a much better bass than the bolt-ons. the fit and finish is great and the playability is excellent. i can get lower action on my thumb neck through, but the set neck is close. i would tell any one looking at bolt-on to keep saving for a sn or a neck through. as with any lower end of any manufacturers line, the lower end will never be as good as the top end (warwick,smith,mtd,tobias ect.).

20. I own a Rockbass and i am very pleased with it. Best thing to do is just try some for yourself like i did. As for them not being as nice as squiers i totally disagree. They are much nicer than Mexican Fenders never mind squiers.

But thats just what i thought after trying them in the shops. Do the same. TRY THEM ALL