Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Greetings Playas,

Is there anyone out there that has one. If you do tell me how you like it so far. I have had mind for almost a month now and this thing is just awesome. Love the feel, the tone and the look of her is just tooo hot!!! :hyper:

I'd like to know if you have one did you make any changes to your Warwick, mainly regarding adjusting the action? And when it came time for strings which did you chose to replace your stock strings. Oh, by the way I have a Thumb - bolt on.
    Thanks in advance

2. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Congrats on your new Thumb , great basses!

I just picked up a Dolphin Pro 1 5 string and this bass is SICK!
    I have had a chance to record and play out with it, and it is super comfy and warm and growly and just all around a great bass, The only thing is that it is on the heavy side, but once I start playing it, it is really a Non Issue ..... I was also thinking about swapping out the MEC's for a set of Barts, It loses a little bit of the low end on the D and G, but Im not really wanting to alter the bass at this point.

When I first got the bass it was in need of a setup, I had the nut adjusted and the action is set pretty low. I had it strung up with a set of DR's. and now I feel like it is really my bass.
    I want a fretless now!
    - Tom

3. Can't get enough of mine. I fall in love with it more and more every day.

As for strings and set up. I've had the Warwick Black Labels on there. They are super bright and very rough compared to the DR Low Riders I have on there now. I need to lower them just a hair, but the nut is perfectly set up for me.

Solid thick neck, which I love for slapping as well. I'm pretty brutal on my basses and this thing is made for rough play. It doesn't feel delicate in the least. Fender inspired designs just never fit me well. When I played them, they felt awkward for some reason. The contour, the woodwork, the small body, pickup placement, everything about the thumb just suits me, I can't believe it really.

Its made of swamp and maple, so its not as tightly compressed as the thumb thumb you have. Its warmer. I describe it as a cross between a Maple necked stringray, and the usual thumb bolt on. Though maybe some would disagree. I have thought about putting barts on it... but I kind of like the sound now as it is.

I'm really hoping to find an old bubinga bolt-on around next christmas to go with her.

4. E
    When you had your setup done did you do it or did you have a guitar tech do it for you. I am a big fan of D.I.Y. just so that in a pinch I what to do and how to do it.

I am really not sure if I want to attempt to do it myself, since she is fairly new. Let me know thanks for the input.

5. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY

I had a tech do it because I am not used to the "adjust a nut" that warwick sometimes uses and did not want to overdo anything. From here on out Ill adjust it myself, also though I bought the bass used and wanted it to get a Once over by someone who really knows whats up.
    I am very happy I went and bought this bass, Definitely one of the best I have played annd I have owned a ton!
    - Tom

6. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hey ...
    I guess I really did not answer your question though!

Maybe you should take it back to the store and see if they will set it up to your specs.... they should have done that anyway for you when you bought the bass.

Otherwise if you are comfortable doing it yourself and its a new bass I say go for it, No more than 1/4 a turn on the rod at a time as Im sure you know :)

- Tom

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm still experimenting with strings on my Corvette Std.

The previous owner I bought it from had Ernie Ball Slinkys on there. I found the tone too trebly and "plinky" especially for slap. I prefer a thicker more old-school slap tone over a brittle one.

I tried SIT Silencers on it and they are simply wicked. Even after they go dead, they still sound amazing. Adds warmth and heft to the tone.

I have Ken Smith Compressors on it now and I hate them. Tone's way too twangy.

I'm looking to try Infeld SuperAlloys on it. Perhaps I should learn not to let my string fetish get the better of me and stick with the winner. Thus far, though, SIT has been the winner.

One thing I love about my Warwick is that the action can get stupid low with low or minimal buzzing. Sometimes I even MAKE it buzz so that there's some grit in my tone. I'm not a pedal guy, so I use my touch and technique to do effects organically. And my Warwick responds to my touch like it's an extension of my body.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    :crying:
    Gotta admit it hurts sometimes.
    I pretty sure there'll be another Warwick somewhere in my future one day. Stingray 5 comes first though.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have 3, Katana BO 4, Corvette $$ 4, and an Infinity SN TCS 5. I like them all, but the Katana gets played most. Did some recording the other day and got comments on how well it sounded.

10. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    I just bought a Thumb BO this Thursday. I brought my FNA Jazzman back to try the Thumb.

The Thumb looks awsome. Action is a little high and tight. If I keep it I am going to have it set up with a tad lighter action.

I have a question...I have it hooked up to a Ampeg SVT-4PRO and an Ampeg PR-410HLF Cabinet. I had to bring the damn thing out on my back patio while searching for a good sound because the low E was trying to dissamble my house! Good thing I'm in Florida and it's 75 degrees out!

I'm tring to get a good sound out of it. I'm not a slapper. I play classic and new rock, jazz, and the blues. It seems that it sounds the best with a good amount of treble. The thing is clear and tight, almost too clear and too tight if you know what I mean. The action may be a little high which is causing me minor distress.

I want a nice deep semi-clear tone without too much finger and fret noise (a good all-around rock, blues, jazz sound)...any suggestions on how to set the tones on the bass and the amp? Did I screw up and should I have kept my FNA? I want the Thumb to work, I do love it.

11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I bought a fretless corvette back in october, i love the tone and when i played it in the shop thought that i just wasn't used to the neck profile and would be if i played it enough. this isn't the case, i find my hand cramps up very easily playing it so i'm currently trying to sell it and get hold of a fretless 5 with a shallower neck profile.

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Warwicks ROCK!

Thumbs ROCK HARDER!!!

Heh heh.

I bought mine used a few years back. It came with Barts in it (installed by Mike Lull) and I still LOVE it!

Strings? No idea. But they are still going strong.

<pants>

Action? Yeah Baby! Lots of action!

Waxing my Thumb makes me feel flushed, rushed and ready to ROCK! ...or Jazz!...or Blues...or WHATEVER!! JUST DO IT!!!

erm...excuse me.

</pants>

Yup, good action. About medium. Haven't had to mess with it at all.

:D

Joe.