Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Oct 14, 2000.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Does anyone know when Warwick went from using Wenge to Ovankol for the necks on the Thumb bolt-ons? Also the same question for the switch between the brass Just-A-Nut and the black Just-A-Nut II?

The reason I'm asking is I purchased a new Thumb 4 bolt-on and this one had an Ovankol neck and the black Just-A Nut II. This bass however had quite a few cosmetic flaws and was replaced with another Thumb 4 by Music 123. The replacement bass is slightly lighter weight and has a Wenge neck and a brass Just-A-Nut. This bass is brand new? The wood is nicer grained than the first one.

This one was pulled from Music 123 parent store which is Zapf's music in Philly since Music 123 didn't have any more Thumbs in stock to replace my first one.

I'm thinking that this one probably hung in the Philly store for a few years which would explain the difference in the neck wood and the nut.

Can anyone shed some light? Also did I get a better bass than before or is it only a cosmetic difference? Let me hear your opinions?

2. Warwick has cut back on wenge usage due to the continuing war in Zaire/Congo, which is the main supplier of wenge to the world. Many other bassmakers are experiencing the same problems (notably MTD). Such are the risks of building your products from exotic materials.

3. puppeteering

puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    As far as the nuts go, I was told from Warwick that the black Just-a-nut II replaced the original brass version 1.0 because the brass version has mini set screws for raising or lowering each string height at the nut, and when unscrewed all the way, the screws could fall out (and they did).

I can appreciate that change in design, but for some reason, the new black version has a sharper profile, and sometimes, if I make a fast slide back to first position, I feel an uncomfortable poke against the side of my finger (ouch)... not so sure I like this.... anyone else ever encounter this from a newer Warwick?

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Aside from the war, Warwick has made a lot of changes in more stuff.
    I have a 95 Masterman and it has an all wenge neck, no volute, all brass bridge and was still considered handmade. The new just-a-nut is cheaper, but still good and doesn't have the problems the old all brass ones did. But they have had problems of their own and I don't like how high they are either.
    Wenge necks, though nice, had an open grain to the wood that disturbed a few people (like me, at first). Ovankol is nice and I guess comparable to the wenge and much smoother.

Grooveguru, your new bass is NOS (New old stock), most likely. What is the Serial #? I can tell you when it was made.