Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Replacement Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Jul 27, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I know this sounds strange - but I really like the neck on my Corvette FNA!! :bag:

However - I'd really like to mate it with an all passive pickups in a different body. I emailed Dana Teague at DBG and asked if Warwick does one-off bodies for their customers. Basically what I would want to get is a Corvette Standard body in select Black Korina with either standard J routs or Soapbar routs (to possibly accomodate the new Duncan Phase 2 passive pickups).

Do you all think I would be better off going to a luthier and having a one-off body custom built - or should I stick with Warwick even if the price is astronomical ($500 or more) and/or the wait time is obscene (6 months or more) granted I'm not asking for anything fancy here. Just a slab of nice wood to be milled into a corvette body and then some final sanding (no finish, no laminates, etc.)

I think it would be a really awesome looking and sounding bass. The All wenge neck from the FNA, a custom black limba body in the standard corvette shape with black hardware and soaps (or Js)- all passive. :eek: :bassist: :cool:

(another thing to keep in mind, is that this is my main gigging bass. Two concerns here. I'd like to beat is up (body wise) and I'd have real problems with that with the current maple laminated body. Second, if I comission a private builder to make me a one-off body- he or she will probably need the original body. So turn around time is still crucial. )

What do you guys think? Am I crazy for basically taking apart a quality out of production bass? :meh:

Thanks,

~michael

2. Corvette Body
    someone is actualy selling a corvette body on ebay altho they drilled an extra hole in the body(i guess a pre-amp was added) For $199 its a steal compared to warwicks price.

P.S. to Mods- Im not linked to seller i just thought i would help another TB brother.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't know if any luthier would be up to, or able to make that body, as it could end up in lawsuit. I was talking to a luthier at one point about making a body like my Spectors, and he told me flat out no. Dunno how it'd be for a Warwick.

-Ray

4. i thought that the necks on the warwick basses were pretty universal...as in they use the same one for most of their bass....please correct me if i'm wrong but i thought i read that or something along those lineson their website...so i don't see the use in all the effort to keep the same neck on a different bass

5. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    UrbanAssault415: Thanks, I noticed that auction as well, however - I'd rather get a body built to my specs than get that one available.

Ray Salamon: Good point. I talked to Dana Teague at DBG and he said that warwick does not craft one-off bodies. And He can't recall a single Black limba bass either. So I inqiured about any infringement problems that could come up if I comissioned a Corvette replacement body. Furthermore - are there any luthiers here who may be willing. Or should I pony up and do it myself (something that I am prepared to do, but I would rather walk through this with someone who is more competent than I)

DubBeats CB: Dana told me the same thing. However, I do feel a noticeable difference when I play my 1998 Corvette FNA versus any current Standards in GC.

So is there anyone here who wants to throw caution to the wind and help me build this body?

Thanks,

Michael

6. glad to hear that someone else heard that...now i dont feel as crazy

7. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    TB:

I got an email this morning from Dana Teague with his thoughts on duplicating the Warwick body shape. He stated,"As long as it is for your own use and not something made for sale you can sort of dance around the trademark/copyright issues. I'm not going to tell you it's OK, but I doubt that you would get on the radar screen for making yourself a bass based on a shape you admire. Just don't ever try to sell it as a Warwick."

So with that, I am currently looking for a one-off builder to make my body. simply stated, I am looking for a near replica of the Corvette standard (the body shape can change ever so slightly) using select Black Limba. My plan for the body is to just be cut and up to 220 level sanding and ready to fit the existing neck and existing bridge assembly - that's it! No finishing. I am certainly open to control cavity ideas, etc. finally I would like to discuss custom branding (such as the name of the luthier or custom company burned into the body) as a mark that this body is meant for my use and never to be resold as a warwick. Please PM me if you are interested.

I hope I have not broken any rules by soliciting for a builder for some custom work. I would ask directly, but sadly I do not know who you are. I would appreciate it if maybe someone can respone with a list of known TB skilled luthiers that way I can contact them directly.

Thanks,

Michael

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Try Here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

-Ray