1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick replacement neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sir juice, Mar 9, 2008.

1. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    I'd like to put a genuine Warwick neck in my Rockbass.

Do Warwick offer direct replacements or should I stay on ebay for the next few months waiting for one?

2. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    They don't offer replacement necks.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    This is not an insult, so please don't take it that way, but out of curiosity, why are you interested in doing this?

4. Just go to a sporting goods store and get a baseball bat.

5. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I am also curious why you want to do this. If it is because you don't like the way the neck feels there are other alternatives. You can have the neck reshaped. Over the past few years Warwick has been experimenting with their necks. If you order a custom one you can choose between 3 different shapes. When you buy one off the rack you get what you get. If there is a quality luthier in your area you can have the neck reshaped for about $150.00. I just had the neck on my Dolphin Pro-I done, and it is now perfect. I had them use the neck on my Ken Smith for reference.

6. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

:rollno:

7. StealingYerMail

StealingYerMail

Nov 6, 2007
    Hahaha.

You can order custom necks off of the Warwick site if I'm not mistaken.

And I'd assume he wants to replace the neck because Rockbass necks don't have the unique woods that a real Warwick uses, I think, and that's a vital part of their sound.

8. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    I'd really like a Wenge neck is all.

How much would a custom shop neck set me back do you reckon?

9. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    They wont sell you a neck. They will replace a broken neck but not sell a neck on its own. In your case :

1) Find an old Corvette.
    2) Try Warmoth or other parts manufacturer. Neck would not probably fit as standard. Might as well get a body and neck.
    3) Get a luthier to do one for you.

In the end, not worth the hassle :)

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    The neck wood is the single most important factor in the tone of the instrument. Wenge is the very best neck wood (IMHO), and a significant reason why certain Warwicks have "that sound". Good luck getting a wenge neck for your 'Wick, I think you'll be very happy with the tone improvement.

If you contact the custom shop, and pay custom shop money, I don't see why they wouldn't build you a neck. Tell them it's replacing another Warwick neck...but neglect to use the word "Rockbass", if you want them to actually help you.

11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Only thing I would be wary of is the Ovankol/Wenge replacement may be somewhat heavier than the existing rockbass (maple?) neck, therefore inducing neckdive.

For the fuss it's worth, you'd probably do better saving up your beer tokens for a new warwick bass. Their range is bigger than ever and cater for more budgets than they used to. A used corvette standard would be more than adequate.

12. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    For the fuss it's worth, you'd probably do better saving up your beer tokens for a new warwick bass. Their range is bigger than ever and cater for more budgets than they used to. A used corvette standard would be more than adequate.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This project would end up costing you more than what that bass cost. You should be able to find a deal either on this site, or on Ebay.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would agree that buying a new bass would probably make the most sense.

When you think about it, you only have to save up for part of the amount of the new bass as you can sell your Rock Bass to cover part of the cost of the Warwick.

14. stoney

stoney

May 18, 2006
    Are the neck pocket specs even the same between warwick and the rockbass line? I know it varies between fender and squire.

15. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Ive never dealt with warwick on this but I have with Musicman. They wont send you the part until you mail them the old one. A luthier might build you one to specs, but my guess is theres no way warwick would. You could start slapping warwick necks on rockbass bodies and selling them as warwicks on ebay. They are more worried about their reputation than making a few hundred bucks on a custom neck they might make.

Has anyone actually had to send off to warwick for a replacement neck. I have a thumb that is sorta starting to twist. I cant tell if its gonna be an issue down the line, but im worried it might be. Im not he original owner. Im wondering if its cheaper to have the neck steamed or just getting a new one from warwick.

16. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    You're in the US. Contact Dana B. Goods (Warwick US distributor).

Those guys are the most wonderful people I've ever dealt with, and were INCREDIBLY helpful. Fantastic group of guys, can't say good enough things about my personal experiences with them. A+

17. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    I would buy a new Warwick, but the Rockbass I have (single pup streamer std.) doesn't have a Warwick parallel. I love the carolena body and pickup positioning. A passive humbucker down there is just PERFECT for me, especially with a custom Aaron Armstrong humbucker.

A wenge neck would seriously make this the perfect bass for me. I guess I'm just gonna have to stay on ebay for a long time waiting.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

They are great to work with.

Warwick won't do it, because they assign the serial number to the neck.

19. Hopefully to beat yourself over the head for being an ass....

You're prob annoying the MM crowd about toilet seats now yeh??

20. good one tough guy.