Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Rock Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sspear, Jul 4, 2002.

1. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    umm well... I would take a musicman over a rock bass any day. The rock basses are decent... but aren't that great IMO. Now if you were to choose between a "real" warwick and a MusicMan, you'd have a good debate starter.... ;)

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The only Rockbass I ever played was the top of the line Corvettes. The thing had THE tightest B string that I have ever played, ever. I was completely amazed. This is after I had just played a MM and a Modulus. The Rockbasses arnt as good as the real thing but they seem pretty nice.

4. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

Well you may be right but I played one in the store for a minute and it sounded pretty decent. Isn't the main difference alder for the Rock bass and bubinga for the German made? The MM are great basses but do you think the G is a little thin sounding?

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Personally, I do not like MusicMen. I really wanted to, they look great and have wonderful construction, but there is something about them that I really dislike.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    This is where the original Fender P-Bass comes back. I think it's a very exceptional piece of equipment to have in rock. I play 5 right now, and I'm looking for a fretless 6er now. Eventually, I'll want to get a very nice custom-ed up Fender P-Bass 4 string, or a Stingray/Sterling 4 string just so I can kick the crap out of it when I play my rock music. Yeah, so much space between the strings, YEAH!!!:D

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've played the RB Corvette Classic and the Streamer Standard. I didn't like the streamer that much, but i'll be darned if the Corvette didn't sound JUST like a warwick. i mean, it didn't have the same sustain and clarity that my SS2 has (or the Warwick Corvette with active pickups i played) but it definitely had the growl. in fact, i thought it sounded better than lots of other much more expensive basses in the store. i think the active MEC's were the trick. they're really smokin basses - construction is on par with any of the korean basses, and they've got one of the best B strings i've played. (warwick's got that down for sure - even with a 34" scale)

but - the O.G. Warwick Corvette SPANKED it. i'd look for a used wenge neck warwick with active pickups. i've played a lot of basses - handmade, boutique, and whatnot - and i would take any real Warwick over almost every one.

as for comparing it to the MM - i also have a MM Sterling, and i'm planning on selling it for a jazz bass or a 4 string warwick. it plays great and is constructed beautifully, but the sound just doesn't do it for me. it doesn't have the "growl." but a 'Ray would be different because it's pickup is closer to the bridge.

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was talking to the Australian Warwick Rep.(who is also my luthier) about the RockBass and he said dont waste your time on it. They are basically dodgey versions of the streamer (i THINK that is what he said.) and during shipping, they are damaged because they arent treaded as good as the REAL Warwicks. He is a luthier aswell, (and a bloddy good one at that) and he said that they are probably the worse kind of Warwick to set up and repair. Thats just what he said, and after playing one, i sort of agree with him.

9. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    Was wondering what people think of the new warwick rock basses recently released. Are they worth 600 bucks....the corvett style one.........................

10. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    If you've the money to buy a MusicMan, why are you looking for a RockBass?

Stay in the same price range and check for a real Warwick!

11. I was very excited when knew those rockbasses existed, but after seeing them in pictures, and noticing how much they costed, i got really dissapointed.. I haven't tried one but don't think they are worth the money.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Don't let the name fool you. Rockbass is Warwick's take on less expensive, Korean made entry-level basses. The main difference is that real German-produced Warwicks are quite exotic, with woods like wenge and ovangol, two-piece bridges, brass frets, oil finishes etc. Rockbasses on the other hand are more your standard bass style: gloss finishes, woods like maple, rosewood etc, one-piece bridge..

Even if it's the 'lesser' instrument produced by Warwick, there's no reason that a Rockbass coulden't be a good bass - and we know that they make some good axes in Korea too. Just look at MTD Kingston and Lakland Skyline for example. And for the people who don't like the more exotic style of Warwicks, Rockbasses might be even better than a 'real' one.

13. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The one that I've tried was great! I honestly think it was better than the regular corvettes. It easily beats MTD Kingston IMO.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well on 07/04 a thread on rock basses had already been started.. you should really look at the forums before you start another thread. Not that your thread is pointless, but if two threads have the same topic, you are likely to miss some information

15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Wrong! Rock bass is made in Chine!

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The two current threads about Rockbasses have been merged together.

Let's try not to double post threads, guys. Take a quick look on the board before starting another thread with the same subject.

Thanks
    Ryan

17. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great feed back. Sorry if there was already a thread on this subject.

18. The RockBass 4-strings are as good as any Ibanez out there, and get the Warwick growl, but for a 5 I'd have to go with O.G. Warwick. The seperate bridge and tailpiece assembly make the setup jub much easier for a 5. If a P or J bass has been your thing, don't sell a RockBass 4 short. Like W5S above, I too prefer the all wenge neck..it's on the instrument to your left. :)

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Right you are. China it is.

"..as good as any Asian made instrument", then.

20. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    Yeh i am working with a buget of about 600 dollars.....I am not an ibanz fan....Plus the warick is kinda free.....I am going web design for the owner of the music store and its the only 5 string they have in. So if i do enuff webdesign i get the bass free.....

But if it aint worth it....I think i am gonna get this for my 5 to play with my friends band who is using 7 strings.....When Xmas comes around i am gonna get a pretty jazz bass.......Are the rockbasses corvette style good for 600 or can i do much better for a 5 string with another brand....

I kinda like it need to look at more basses i think first