1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Rockbass broken nut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Apr 12, 2010.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just acquired a Warwick Rockbass - it's an ok little bass, but this one is more of a rescue.

After fixing the broken battery connector, I proceeded to do a setup. I noticed that the E string would not intonate property - further investigation revealed what I believe is a broken nut.

So questions - 1) Is this a broken Warwick nut 2) Any guesses on how much to fix it? I've never replaced a nut but would like some specific insights into how easy/hard this is and the expense.

pic (1st one is the bottom, 2nd one is the top which I believe is busted):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    You've got the Just-A-Nut 2 and they had a problem with those side flanges breaking, hence the development of the Just-A-Nut 3. It's easy enough to buy a JAN3 and install it, but you may have to file it down to fit the bass - be careful not to sand it into a curve when you do!

I'm surprised that the intonation is being put out, though. That might be caused by something else.

3. It's not uncommon at all for those flimsy plastic tabs to break on this type of nut. The good news is... it doesn't matter. My 2005 Warwick Corvette $$ has BOTH tabs broken. It's fine, except that if I remove all 4 strings the top part may fall off and if I lose it I need to buy another.
    But other than that, don't worry about it. It still works as intended and remains fully adjustable.

Your intonation problems are not because of the broken bit... but if the nut is too high you'lll have intonation issues most noticeably on the first few frets.

4. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Interesting...it's very sharp fretted at the 12th fret, although the harmonic is E...??

Perhaps this belongs in the luthier forum.

5. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    update: I'm driving the saddle back and it seems to be getting closer.

Disregard - poor setup knowledge on my part. Although it's good to know that the nut tabs being broken don't seem to have much impact on anything.