1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Rockbass disappoints.

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Poopoutyouridea, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hey there, I have a Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard, 2011 model. I know great things have been said about this line and I would like to contribute myself. Thing is, I can't. I paid US$550 for it and was really excited about it. The sound was great, not as good as a German Wick, but that's where it ends.

First off, hardware issues. About 3 months after I got it, the input jack came loose and it had to take a trip to the tech. Not an issue.

Secondly, the tone pot died. It straight up died. There was no difference whether or not I turned it, it still sounded like it was on full all the time. Another trip to the tech.

Now, 8 months after I bought it, yet another problem has arose. This time, it's a faulty instrument ground. Gotta head to the tech again. Depressing

I love this bass, I really do, but the amount of reliability issues put out has really been a disappointment. I was expecting more for 500 bucks, but no. Sorry if this comes across as a little whiney, just wanna share my troubles. Credit to my tech, he's doing the repairs for free. Just wish I didn't have to go so far to get to him. It's a 20 minute trip each time. Oh well.

2. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Is this one of the one piece bridge versions?

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

No doubt an ass pain especially when you buy new. Regardless whether or not it was $599 or $5,999 issues do occur on all basses from all manufacturers and all price points. The main thing is you like the look, feel, sound, playability, and neck. To me the most important thing about a bass is the neck how straight and frets and fretwork.

Electronics and pots and wiring are simple and inexpensive to repair. I replace those barrel jacks on my basses time to time they are around $10 and I can replace one usually in less than 15 minutes and pots can be faulty and go bad. I replace them also time to time. I own some pretty high end basses including Warwick and many other brands. I have has similar experiences with almost all of them. Still sucks I know and I don’t mean to minimize your frustration. Just want to say it’s a real good Idea to learn and get good with a soldering iron and get to know some simple repairs yourself. It’s faster cheaper and to me a good bit of fun learning and doing the work myself.

I hope now the bugs are worked out and you can get to playing. I just wanted to say none of those issues are worth giving up on any bass. Warwick doesn’t manufacture the jack, pots and the grounding could have come loose from a cold solder or whatever it could have happened to almost anyone on any bass. I hope you keep her and don’t give up on her.

Jonathon27 and Evil Undead like this.
  5. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Well said dude!

6. Yeah. Just came back from another visit to my tech. Apparently this is not a unique problem. Of the eight Rockbasses he took in at the time, another Streamer and two Corvettes have encountered the same grounding problem. Not sure about the tone pot and the jack problems though. Good news is he'll replace all the pots with new ones and replace the wiring, bad thing is he's charging me $50. Oh well, nothing is free. Anyway, I get my bass back in a month and might do a NBD about it as well! :hyper:

7. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Poopoutyouridea, sorry to hear about the issues you are having. As Means2nEnd said we don't manufacture the pots or jacks, and this is not a common issue relative to the number of basses made. Regardless, I understand its an inconvenience and hope that everything can be sorted out. I have taken note of your issues and will share them with the design team. If possible, please send me your serial number as well. Thanks for your support, and feel free to let me know if there is any way I can be of assistance. Kind regards,

8. xthecaptainx

xthecaptainx

Aug 18, 2012
    My Warwick Rockbass Corvette Active just went thru a brand new battery in 4 days. It's now a 4 Volt battery.
    I did play often but always unplugged it overnight.

How can I know if the electronics are bad? Thanks.

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    xthecaptainx - Sorry to hear about your issue with the battery life. There is most likely a short in the batter clip, or the output jack. I would recommend having a tech inspect things, as most likely it is a very simple fix. Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance. Thanks!

10. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I’m almost 100% sure what this is. You had someone work on you electronics correct? If you get the main ground confused with the switched ground on the jack it will never close the circuit for the battery and it will never shut off. This is a common mistake by people who don’t work on active preamps that much. There are three tabs coming off the barrel jack inside the control cavity. The longest is the main ground and all grounds from pots, bridge wire, and preamp go there. Then there is the medium length one this is the “switched” ground only the battery ground goes there when the cable is in the bass it connects it with the main ground but when there is no cable it cuts the circuit so your battery isn’t on while not playing. Then there is the smallest tab this is the hot wire to go to preamp.

If whoever worked on your bass attached the battery ground to the main jack any battery will die in days. Or reversed the main ground with the switched ground it will still function without noise and ground fine no buzz but take cable out and it’s still battery engaged and dead battery in days. I know I have done this before.

Check this out first this is almost surely the culprit.

Jonathon27 and Rebopmass like this.
  11. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Thanks Means2nEnd! Yes, if someone has indeed worked on the bass - this is most likely the issue. The only other time we've seen this was with a faulty battery clip. Have these checked out, and you should be able to sort things out quite easily.

12. xthecaptainx

xthecaptainx

Aug 18, 2012
    Thanks Means2nEnd and WarwickOfficial.

I just purchase this bass used so I'm the second owner. Not sure what the first owner did with it. The battery that it brought had 7 Volts in it, so I replaced it with a brand new Energizer.

I'm pretty tech savvy so I went ahead and checked the battery clip, and even though it has a very long awkward ground cable, it seems fine.

I also checked the ground connections on the jack and they are exactly as you wrote.

What I did noticed was that the shield on the thick white cable that goes to the longest tab was messy and not welded good.
    (the same cable that carries the conductor to the short tab)

So I'm thinking maybe it was causing a short? Anyways I cleaned up and put the battery back. I'll check back in a few days and see if I keep having the issue.

If I do, should I just replace the battery clip and the jack?

Thanks for your help.

13. Well, two months later, she is back! She's rocking a new solder job and new electronics and all is well. Sounda great, and not a single buzz. WarwickOfficial, you wanted the serial right? It's RB E 505723-11. Hope it helps.

14. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    hello poopoutyouridea - Thanks for the update, and glad to hear everything has been sorted out! Now, enjoy that bass!

15. Bodacious

Bodacious

Nov 9, 2011
    Nashville TN
    Hey Fellas, first off thanks for keeping this thread completely business, and helpful.

My issue with regard to this critical signal junction is that I have the most difficult time getting good torque on the super thin hex nut that keeps the jack seated properly in the recessed rout in my ( incredible ) Rockbass corvette five. In the two years I've been using it as one of my main two basses. the constant use always seems to wiggle the hex nut loose and i have no tool that can properly crank it down to provide the necessary maintenance. Causing the eventual wear and fray of the wires at the solders to the jack itself from constantly being wiggled.

I can do the solder my self;
    so of course I had to figure out why my battery was dead over a weekend like @poopoutyouridea,

The next time I resorted to a tech to replace the jack which now also has wiggled free and wreaked the solder requiring a fix. Figured his "pro Handy-work" would be better / more thorough than mine.

This time I want to modify the jack so that I can get a good ole american wrench on it and crank till it stays tight.

I"ve considered adding a washer to the inside of the cavity rout on the jack barrel before the hex nut any idea how big is the right size ( in case you have already done this ??) i don't have a micrometer.

I've also considered adding a washer to the outside of the rout to make a better surface to which i can get a counter wrench or something to stabilize the jack while the hex nut is being torqued.

or subbing a much thicker hex nut from the hardware store

{ anyone have any idea what thread pattern is on a switchcraft active barrel jack?}

I want to avoid things like routing the guitar to fit a telecaster cup style jack plate or other drastic measures. but to be honest , if I cannot get a positive lasting repair on this, I'll regrettably take the power tools to her and do some surgery.

Anyone have any different idea on how i can "Soup up" my axe so i can keep her off the disabled list?

Thanks,
    -B

16. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Hey Bodacious,

If I may just chime in and recommend one useful tool we have on our workbench at Warwick NY for easily tightening input jacks -- http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Electronics,_pickups/Jack_The_Gripper.html
    This guy lets you grip the input jack from the inside, which makes nut easier to tighten and prevents twisting up/messing up the wiring on the inside of your instrument. It's really an ingenious tool...with a great name, no less! :)

All the best,

Jesse at Warwick USA

17. guitar<bass

guitar<bass

Oct 25, 2005
    Kansas
    don't use fender cables. my wick's go nuts if I do.

18. yustech

yustech

Mar 2, 2015
    Just want to inquire something about your RB Streamer pickups DC Resistance.Do you mind sharing.
    Thanks