Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Rockbass Fortress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Catalin, Feb 5, 2006.

1. What is your opinion about Warwick Rockbass Fortress ?

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The RockBass line can be hit or miss with people. Some people love their RockBasses (esp. the Fortress) while others hate them and talk about tons of construction issues like strap pins falling off. I've played a few Rockbasses at various music stores and my verdict is that they're good but not great. There is so much gear in that price range, it's so competitive.

As for me, I think for the price of a new Rockbass Fortress, you may be able to snag a preowned German Warwick (like maybe a Corvette Standard.) The German 'wicks are definitely better than the RockBasses, and since you're in Europe, German 'wicks are likely more affordable than in the US.

However, Warwick doesn't use the Fortress body shape in their German line any more and I'm a little disappointed at that, because that's my favorite Warwick body shape. It probably balances better than any other Warwick due to the long upper horn.

My verdict- like any factory bass, you had best try a bunch of different ones before you buy. In the large batch you may find gems or you may find clunkers. Definitely wouldn't buy a Rockbass sight unseen.