Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick RockBass...Good for starters???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The quality is reportedly rather good - it shoud do fine as a beginner bass.

3. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
  4. Don't get the ESP, the rockbass is a much better bass IMO.

5. Oh, and the red finish looks much better than the black.

[​IMG]

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... and the red won't show all the fingerprints. Black bad.

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I played a 4-string version of needmoney's bass last week, and I was quite impressed. I don't know if it was just an exceptional one that I played, but I'd honestly use it as my main bass. I say go for it. :)

8. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    One of the kids I teach just bought a fretless one for his first fretless. He loves it.

9. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    So u guys say the RockBass? I mean....i donno the rockbass looks bad but the ESP is a lot cheeper....

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Remember, cheap has two meanings.

11. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I own a Corvette Rockbass and a 'real' Corvette. Obviously the Rockbass is not of the quality of the Corvettte, but it is a darn good bass. I'd recommend it highly. It is a very comfortable bass, with brightish pickups (as with the 'real' version), much lighter than the "real' version, which is great. IOt would be a bass that would keep up with you in the beginning, not a bss you'd have to fight. And you can still find uses for it even once you decide to move on to a better bass. I put LaBella tapewounds on mine, turn the treble up and get all the twang I want for mid-60's stuff or country. It sounds good as a rockk bass (hence the name??), though, with the pickup adjusted with more bass.

12. look for a rockbass in the for sale forum or post in the wanted...

you can SAVE SAVE SAVE!!!!

13. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    i don't like rockbass, it's coarse set-up and sound. and it's made in china...i think ibanez btb400 is a good enough for a beginner bass player...a btb is better sounding and playing than a rockbass which price under $600...and if u have less money, i think the olp mm2 or ssd4 is a good choice...they're licensed by ernie ball/music man and stuart spector...

14. +100,000 on the OLP MM2

15. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    What's this about the RockBass not being good 'cause it's made in China? I've played a few, and while they weren't all amazing, none of the were "coarsely" set up, and the tone was fine. That's my opinion, though - YMMV.

16. I have a Rockbass Streamer and Corvette.

I can highly recommend the Streamer from first hand experience.

The finish, build quality and tone is far better than the OLP's I have played. The OLP's aren't bad value for money, but they aren't in the same league as the Rockbass line.

The setup on my Streamer is great, and the tone is loveley.

The output of the pickups is a little lower than my Corvette, which has a higher output and much brighter.

Also, in contrast to the light Alder body of my Corvette, the Carolena body of the Streamer is quite heavy. The timber has very nice grain, and the full gloss red stain finish is flawless!

As far as being made in China ......... so what?

The quality is there - I don't care where it was made.

17. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'd say go for the Rockbass. I've tried every model they make and they are IMO some of the best basses you can buy for the money. I've compared them to other brands such as Ibanez, Dean, Washburn, Fernandes, OLP, ESP/Ltd, Fender, Music Man in that same price range.

I own a Warwick Vampyre LTD and a Rockbass Fortress, and I'm about to get a Thumb Neck-Thru. My Rockbass is such a good bass that I'm still going to use it extensively.

Not to mention, you get the best customer service in the industry if you have a problem. Those guys are the best!

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hey! In a democratic voting system you only get as many votes as all the others, so that's just +1 to you!

I'll chime in with another vote for the Rockbass.

19. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    If you decide to go with the Rockbass, I'd recommend you get a set of Warwick Black Label strings. It will improve the tone of the bass quite a bit!

20. I bought a Warwick Rockbass a couple of years ago, and at this moment it's under my bed with a stripped truss rod and mile-high action. I think it sounds great for the money, but IMO the construction was terrible (on mine at least).