1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Rockbass II GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plankspanker13, Oct 23, 2009.

1. So, last night's gig cancelled at the last minute, and I was in music mode, and found myself close to the neighborhood GC, and went in.

I am very impressed with the new Warwick RockBass products. They had the Corvette with J pickups in a 4 and 5, and a 5 in $$ configuration, all in natural swamp ash. They're all passive, but the $$ really opened my eyes to what passive can do. I honestly had to open the control cavity to see if there wasn't a battery hiding in there.

The RBIIs have the 2-piece 'wick bridge and the just-a-nut, and the headstock looks more like a MIG 'wick; only the truss rod cover betrays the fact that it's a RockBass.

I noticed a difference between the controls in the 4 and 5-sting J's, pointing it out to the sales dude. Warwick's USA website is not well-updated for these basses, and only has info on the $$, if one believes the drop-down menu options. The info is actually there for the Corvette Basic active and passive models, and I conclude that the control guide for an active was mistakenly showing on a passive model at GC.

My main workhorse is a J-style bass (a venerable G&L USA JB-2), and I would consider a J-configured Rockbass as a secondary workhorse, so this would be an important point for me. The G&L has a very high output for a passive bass; one that the $$ would match easily, whereas I might have to throw some G&L pickpus on the 4-string J, if I went with it, just to match the output. I did like the volume/balance/neck tone/bridge tone layout of the J4's controls, and the relatively light weight. Considering that the $$ is $100 more in price, that's roughly the difference of dropping in G&L pickups. Throw a Hipshot Xtender on it, and I'd be a happy camper; it already comes pre-loaded for the Dunlop II straplocks that I insist upon.

Warwick seems poised to be moving a lot more mid-level product soon, and I suspect that 'wick Club membership will skyrocket here at TB. All of that said, you'll still have to pry my FNA Jazzman LTD 2002 from my cold, dead hands.