1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 Vs MTD Kingston Heir 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systolic, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Streamer

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Kingston Heir

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. Wait and get something different.

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Hey all. Quick down and dirty poll. I have the option of getting a Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 (the newer ones with a "W" on the headstock,) or one of the older MTD Kingston Heir 5's.

I don't have the ability to play either in person. So i'm gonna use you guys as my broad range eyes, ears, and hands.

So vote for which you'd pick.

How's do the B's compare?

This will mostly be used for the "rock" or "metal" genre. If you'd like to keep that in mind.

Also, the Warwick in the 375 range, while the MTD is right at 500. So this is also a bit of, which is the better deal.

Thanks.:hyper:

2. I played the new Streamer at Guitar Center, and I loved it. :D I haven't ever played one of the passive Heirs, so I can't vouch for that (although I do have one of the active ones, and it was far beyond the Streamer, in my opinion.) I'd say Streamer. :)

3. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    So the Heir was far better than the Streamer? How so? From what I can tell. The passive is the same as the active in every other way.

4. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I suppose I should have said, if you are going to say "something else," please give an example in that price range.

I guarantee someone will say Spector.

5. RocketMensch

RocketMensch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Bellingham, Wa
    I have one of the older Kingstons with the single mm pickup. I bought it used back in the day for cheap when they were pretty inexpensive to begin with. The previous owner put a Bart preamp in it. It was my main player for several years. It had a lot of features you might see on higher end basses and the playability to match. Just a great bass. Sold it once. Big mistake. Tracked it down and begged for it back.

I also got to play one of those warwicks a couple times and those are also pretty nice as well. But the two are very different. Different necks, pickups, ergonomics. Out of the two though, if it were me, I'd go with the heir.

6. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin

I'm really flexible with what kind of ergonomics the body has. I tend to like a chunkier neck.

I just really need something with an aggressive tone that really cuts through the mix. I love the Warwick growl, but the Kingston has that mm style pup as well as a jazz. I'm really torn here.

7. I you like the big necks and love the 'wick growl just get it.

8. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Do wick's have big necks? I honestly don't know. If somebody could weigh in on that.... I know the Heir's neck is supposed to be fairly big with a fairly wide string spacing.

I like all "growl" spector, jazz, wick, ray. The Heir has that mm style pup which tend to be be growly and cut well.

9. NiteFury

NiteFury Supporting Member

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    find a nice used Spector NS2A with upgraded emg pickups and you'll never ask that question again.

10. RocketMensch

RocketMensch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Bellingham, Wa
    Warwicks' necks are fat from front to back (fretboard to backside). MTD necks are wide from side to side. They are relatively thin fom fretboard to backside. But they are "asymmetrical", being thicker on the lower strings and thinner towards the higher strings. It is a very comfortable neck and the asymmetrical design of the neck is a big part of the playability of that bass.

11. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Save up a bit more for a real 'wick used. Maybe just a corvette, they go cheap. You won't regret it. Spector is also a great choice.