Warwick Rockbass vs ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Jun 8, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I'm after an Dirk Lance (ex Incubus) like tone and i know that the rockbasses don't really get favourable reviews here. I'm currently looking for a bass that is in a similar price range to the rockbasses and unfortunately i'm in Australia so used is probably not an option.

I've seen the Cort Artisan A and B series and they seem to be designed to be warwick impersonators, how do these compare to the rockbasses? Are there any other warwick-like (in terms of tone) basses around that are around the price level of the rockbass?
  2. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    mate, the only way to get tone like he's got is to get the same kinda rig, warwick streamer (not sure which, either series 1 or 2)

rockbasses dont exactly sound like real warwicks, mainly coz of really different specs, eg, woods, electronics.

if you really want "that" tone, get a real warwick:)
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Tone is so complex a thing that no one element will make or break your ability to get a given sound. You might not be able to sound exactly like <insert bass player name here> without their rig, but you can probably get close enough to the ballpark that there will be no significant difference.

There is usually more than one way to skin a tonal cat!
  4. im not too sure on this one, make sure to back me up/tear me down, but you may want to check into Spector basses, they sound beautiful and are very reasonably priced, at least i hope they are where you live :)

Good luck, Dirk is a majestic player,
  5. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    whats spector growl like compared to warwick growl?
  6. Well, I cant truly compare for never having owned either, only playing both in Guitar Center, I mainly reccomended them for the fact that the Streamer is purly a liscensed "copy" of the Ned Steinberger Spector body shape, and pup config.

( I DO NOT WANT TO START A Warwick vs Spector THREAD, I love em both equally... but warwick more cuz the vette kicks ass!)

Anyway... If Dirk plays a four, im not too sure if he does, it may sound and loo similar to a Spector. you may want to check their site to see their artists and models... I suggest a Performer 4 or 5, which ever suits you. Very ligh, very attractive, great sound, both low and high.

Just trying to help, not persuede or sway anyone,
  7. hey...im in australia too, and have been after Dirk's tone as well. I've actually got the Cort Artisian B5, and its been a great bass but am selling it now, to cover getting a Warwick Corvette Standard 5. The Cort has a great tone, that with some tweaking could get close to the Streamer Stage 2 that Dirk used, although it was never quite right, the Corvette I'm getting now sounds pretty similar tho. IF ur ever in melb, and want the Cort....:p
  8. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    How much do u have to spend?
  9. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hehe, sure mate i'll let ya know! ;)

Out of curiousity, how much did you get the artisan b5 for? Oh and how much are you getting the warwick for too?
  10. Got the Artisian for $1149, trying to sell now for $650ish....I'm getting the Corvette for around 2grand I'm hoping!!