Warwick RockBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, May 26, 2005.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I have a warwick rockbass streamer or whatever they call it. I like it very much..it sounds great. but is it a real warwick? Or is do they have that stigma that a Squier stratocaster has in realtionship to a Fender stratocaster? Some dont consider Squiers to be real strats. I s a rockbass considered a real Warwick?
  2. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    There's been a few threads about this, do a search. I think the main consensus was that as Rockbasses aren't made of the exotic hardwoods the more expensive models are made of, they don't really sound like "true" Warwicks, but they're still quality basses.
  3. Well, if you want to get technical, no they're not. Here's the main reason why; it's because they are made in China as apposed to made in Germany. Also for few minor reasons, such as wood selection, hardware(ie. Warwick bridge is not a 1 piece bridge.), and I'm not totally, sure about this one, but I dont think they have MEC Gold pickups, they are however MEC, but I do not think that they are of the "Gold" series.

that's my 2 cents.
  4. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 and a Corvette Rockbass 4. I usually switch between them at gigs depending on the song or how tired my shoulder's getting! They both have different tones and that's attributed to the woods, bridges, and other minor contruction details. The output levels out of both are very close because I don't have to vary the gain on the amp when I switch from one to the other

Now to your question: I don't think there's a right answer. You won't find a Rockbass anywhere on the official Warwick website www.warwickbass.com. But it's still a Warwick Rockbass and a good instrument for the money. My favorite attribute is that it seems to weigh half of what the Standard Corvette 5 weighs and still sounds great!
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's becuase it's a different product line, made by a different company, and has its own web site... http://www.warwickrockbass.com/
  6. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks vic!

More to why there's no right answer. If it says Rockbass by Warwick, it's a Warwick. Whether of not it's a "real" Warwick depends of lots of other, more subjective variables.....
  7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Are you sure its a different company? That seems fishy to me....
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't mean different company as in Fender vs Gibson. I mean a different company in that the organization that makes these for Warwick is not the Warwick Germany everyone thinks of when they think of Warwicks. It's an OEM product that's not manufactured directly by Warwick at their own shop. That's what I meant by "different company". You know...
  9. To me, I see it as kinda like Epiphone and Gibson. Not as great quality as the parent company, but sufficient enough not to piss anyone off. (I guess that kinda doesn't hold truth since alot of people are saddend by Epi's quality. :meh: )
  10. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    thats exactly the way i look at it. Rockbass is Warwicks budget line, and i am a proud owner of a Rockbass Vampyre though i do hope to have a German made Vampyre someday.
  11. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    The bridge, the woods, the pickups (Cheaper MEC's), Produced in china.. That puts it simply.
  12. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I own a Rockbass Corvette 4 string and I'm very pleased with it. The only problem is that it's made in China, but it's half the weight of a german Corvette so it makes up for it IMO. I consider it a Warwick, if they make money off the sales then it's a Warwick. :rolleyes:

13. Rockbasses IMO (as I own a streamer 5st) are what I consider a diamond in the rough bass. I can honestly say i picked up so many and hated them all! the tone, the feel, everything. But then i saw my baby, she was over in a corner hidden by an ugly alembic, i picked her up and was amazed. It sounded perfect, felt alot better than the others and I bought it without hesitance, i even saved money (which is now in my ric fund) because it was pretty cheap. I got a fantastic deal!