Warwick Rockbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Gress, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    From a quality and playability standpoint, is the Warwick Rockbass line like the Grove tools line from Conklin? Is the build quality and playability like it more expensive counterparts, just more mass produced. Or is it more like the Squire line from Fender? Is it going to be hit or miss quality, with every other one being good or bad? Or is it in between these two? I know that the string spacing in the Rockbass is wide, but I like it nice and wide. Are the electronics the same as the regular Warwicks, or are they of cheaper build? I have a Squire and it plays well (after I set it up just the way I like it), but the electronics aren’t the best. I have played two Grove tools, but I didn't like the body. It was too uncomfortable. I have played one Warwick Standard Corvette, and I liked it. I have not played any of the Rockbasses. Thanks.
  2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I heard they were reasonable basses, but you could do better for the money. for about £200 you could get a new 2 pickup streamer rockbass.

for that money you could probably get a used MIM Precision or Jazz.

Ive never played one so im not fully sure. but when i was getting my second bass i considered yamahas, rockbasses, thunderbirds. but i ended up getting a MIM jazz for somereason
  3. I have 4 warwicks...

Warwick Rockbass Streamer 4 (2 pickups)
    Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 (1 pickup)
    Warwick Thumb NT 4
    Warwick Fortress One 5

The thumb is the daddy, no contest but I am scared of breaking it! :meh:

However the rockbass streamer 5 (EADGC) with only one pickup pisses on the fortress.

The rockbass 5 gets gigged hard and the other don't leave the house :bassist:

PS - There is a cool photo of the rockbass on the BBC website from a review of a gig I did last thursday.
  4. The Asian Rockbasses have the exact same size, and shaped bodies as their German counterparts, as well as the same MEC electronics (which is why the price is a little high.) However, you're not going to get anywhere near that signature Warwick tone, which is where the woods being used for the body, neck, and fingerboard come into play. You won't hear the same tone from a Bubinga bodied 'Vette with an Ovangkal/Wenge neck as you will one with a Swamp Ash body and a Maple neck. I've heard from fellow TBers that quality is a little hit or miss, but the majority seem alright.

If you do a search, the RockBass line is a highly discussed topic, you should be able to dig up a few reviews and many opinions. If not, then make sure you check out Harmony-Central too.

5. I played a few rockbasses recently. i though they were pretty decent. for the money you can definately get better basses, but you can get lots worse. overall i'd say that they are decent, not good, not bad.

definately play them yourself before you buying, but you should know that that is just common sense.