Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Rockbasses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 29, 2005.

1. well, am i evil for considering getting a STD streamer or corvette for a backup?

whats the general concencus and quality opinions on these.......

and what the hell is carolina? never heard of the wood before...lol

2. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    as a backup for what? i personally love mine, but its completely different sounding than regular warwicks. my corvette is really light, with really really farty pups. the most important parts were put together nicely, but a lot of minor flaws keep popping up. on mine, strap buttons, the wires to the battery, the input jack, & the springs and screws upder the pickups all had to be replaced or tweaked with. i spent $400 on the bass, and prolly $200 on setups and repairs so far. i would recommend it only if you like the feel and sound of them and get a nice used one that youve spent some time with beforehand. check for any possible problem you might encounter down the road, since most people usually have bad luck with these things.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I haven't heard of that many cases. In fact, your the first one I see complaining on TB.

Those are decent basses. Not perfect, of course (how can you expect their budget line to be perfect, anyway), but for their price, they are very well built. The necks are thinner then the German ones, and also they are not neck-heavy.
    I'd rather try to find a used Rockbass Corvette, I trust alder as a tonewood more than carolena

4. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Ive been playing my RB Corvette SE (flame maple top) for about 2 years now, and aside from a wiring glitch when i first got it its been great. Love the body, its light, and it plays very well. you can get a wide range of sounds from it.

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    a lot of the people and teachers ive talked to in person have had bad experiences with theirs. i picked up my first one used at GC and it quickly became too much of a hassle to deal with so i took it back, but i liked the weight/sound/price so much that i ordered one off of musiciansfriend.com and ive been having bad luck with this one as well, but its not unbearable.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Carolina = type of pine

7. ahhhh..so cheap poo basically

8. From my experience with Carolena, it isn't bad at all. The passive pickups on the Streamer STD bring out some nice tone from this wood, you'd be suprised at how woody you can make it sound with the right strings. Also the grain on Carolena is much nicer than Alder IMO, take a look..

Carolena:
    [​IMG]

Alder:
    [​IMG]

The only thing I have seen is that this wood dints quite easily. I sold it to my friend who wears his bass low around his belt buckle, so now theres a heap of dints in the back.. How could he... :bawl:

Anyway, I don't think theres anything wrong with Carolena, and I definitely don't doubt the fact that it is a nice tonewood.