Warwick rules because...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Nov 14, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    emailed DaleT at dana b goods about my recessed straplocks starting to give out in my ss2....

dale told me to mail their tech and gave me his email.

the tech said that he had some laying around, and if i gave him his address he'd send me some, with new screws. then sent me another email when he had dropped it in the mail!

all for free!

what service!!! :D
  2. I will have to give Warwick that for a thumbs up.
    I had a thumb bass for a while, contacted a guy named Jeff, (think WoodChuck gave me the address.) Asked about the trademark neck dive.

He very nicely gave me an answer I didn't want to hear. I asked for a baseball hat, he sent me one and protected it with a T-Shirt.

Nice guys.
  3. toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    If i tell them I need a new bass, maybe they'd drop one of those in the mail too :) !

then I'd sell it tho lol
  4. I e-mailed Dale about a scratchy Volume/Pan Pot and a loose Input Jack.

Warwick sent me new replacements for free with a 5 string set of Warwick Black Label Strings too boot.

Warwick Customer Service Rules!

5. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Do you think if I tell ´em that I don´t want anymore my Ibanez SR400 and I need a new bass urgent, they would give me a Corvette FNA Jazzman 4, a T-shirt and a set of strings by mail??????
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If they "rule" why are the damn straplocks giving out :confused:

For the money we pay in the US, you can have those twinky-bodied things.

I had a 38-year Precision up until June of this year and never had any poor craftsmanship issues like that.

I think Dana B ought to get the props, not Warwick's lousy workmanship. Then again, maybe you just happened to get a "ringer."
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they're dunlop straplocks, so it's dunlops fault they suck.

i think warwick realized that they go bad after a while and there isn't anything else you can do about them besides replace them. that's why they don't come with recessed straplocks anymore.

if your 38 year old precision had dunlop straplocks on it since its birth, they would have died too.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have never needed customer service of any kind on any of my three 20 year old Fenders. Nor on the Fenders I had before these.
  9. I thought Warwick ruled because their basses are godly???

I guess customer support helps as well... :)

10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    ...they build my warwick streamer jazzman and this bass sing!!

that's enough for me!!
  11. Yeah, they certainly don't make Fenders like they used to.
  12. rickbass

No argument from me, Donne. But, I've hardly tried any and really don't care to own one for the money they want.

I just don't get why a fairy-bodied bass like a Warwick, which seems to have some very high quality standards, would have hardware pulling out :confused:

Maybe all the money is going into their gorgeous catalogs :D
  13. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    to me they have the best tone
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

it's not the hardware pulling out though...

if you're familiar with the way dunlop straplocks work, they have ball bearings pressed out inside of a small ridge on the inside of the receptacle. this ridge is what wears over time, and has worn to the point that the strap pin can slip out of the receptacle.

my thumb, with non-original dunlop dual design straplocks, does the same thing, which is why i'm goign to replace those as well.
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    my fretless precision is built like a tank - never had a problem with the 30 yr old thing.

i do not like the finish on the Thumb bass or for that matter the baseball bat sized neck.:(
  16. True, I will not/am not giving a thumbs up for craftsmanship, only support. They do make some nice basses but . . . I sold my Thumb 4 because of the neck dive, I am getting to old to play catch the neck when ever I do a pull off. Also I kicked myself in the arse for purchasing a $1100 bass that was built with this quality.
    Should have played it longer in the store.
  17. rickbass

That's pretty much in line with what my attitude is, gruff. The tariffs (or whatever importing fees get tagged on) just don't seem worth it to me.

But if I was a young guy and saw all these shaved-head, inked-out, guys playing them through Ampegs, I'd probably be a sucker for them, too. To me, their "image" is what makes them popular in the USA, not what is commensurate with their price in the USA.

Then again, I've only tried those with the MEC pups which almost made me laugh when I thought of the power of Barts, Basslines, EMG's, DiMarzio's and Rio Grandes. The MEC's and those midget-bodies were just too "polite" for me. But they seem to work fine for other bassists.

Image and taste.
  18. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Thumb 6 Bolt-On that is (for me) perfectly balanced. I play with the neck at about a 60 degree angle to the floor, and have never lost much at all. Maybe that angle helps, maybe the different woods (mine is Ovangkol body and neck with a Wenge board), I dunno. But it sounds absolutely wonderful and is probably the easisest to play 6er I have ever held.

And it looks purty too.
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yup, cos that's exactly why i bought mine, being a young guy and all.

oh wait...i bought mine before the kind of music you're referring to even existed! that's right!

what does neck dive have to do with build quality? ergonomics maybe, but it doesn't mean the bass isn't put together well.

and i paid $1500 for my ss2 and $960 for my thumb. and for prices twice that, i haven't played anything i liked better.

20. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I have to agree with the above posts about Fender - rock solid. My Jazz Bass has worked perfectly gig after gig, with no problems whatsoever.

Though, since this is a Warwick thread...they do use some pretty cool woods and nice finishes on their basses. I personally don't dig 'em (I'm kinda traditional - Fender all the way for me), but they have a nice look for what they are.

As far as strap locks go...like I've always said, Schaller all the way.