warwick setup help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by warwickben, Jul 28, 2002.

1. i since i got my bass only thing i really have done to it is put new strings on and add a pickup.i want to do a setup that wuld be great for slapping and two hand tapping.

iam not sure how to set it for this so any help would be good.if u can what would be the best string hight,and so on.
  2. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    okay, first of all, you need an extra pickup for slapping tones? my warwick is great for that, and i didnt need an extra pickup. what kind of warwick do you have? what kind of strings do you use? answer these, then i can get back to you on your question. by the way, i use a warwick thumb 5.
  3. i didnt added the pikcup i replace a pickup.i am asking how i should set my bass up for slapping
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Well, you are sort of creating a situation of opposing forces.

TYPICALLY, action just a tad on the HIGH side of normal is best suited for slapping. It gives the string more room to move since slapping forces more vibration perpendicular to the fingerboard than does regular finger style.

While, the opposite it true for two-hand tap. tapping doesn't generate nearly the energy that pucking the sting does. So really light strings and low action make it easiest to get consistant dynamics.

I would suggest a middle-of-the-road set up and adapt your technique from there.

5. thank u that is what iam looking for. whats a good string size for slapping and tapping.
  6. why not just put your action all the way down as far as it will go without buzzing on the slap style? the lower the better i think.... it lets the bass "bark" kind of...but of course on my bass (washburn xb125[i dont own a warwick yet!]) i tend to get a slightly high thud but thats cuz i hammer the last fret...
  7. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    try setting the pick up control in the middle. that way you get both pickups, thats how mine is set all the time, and it sounds perfect for slapping.