Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick sound, somewhat asthetically pleasing look?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Mar 26, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I have now played 4 warwicks in the last 2 days, and I love the sound but damn are they ugly. Are there any alternatives with less weight, a skinnier neck and at least a tiny bit of visual appeal?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector. Their necks arent pencil-thin but they are smaller than warwick. They have a similiar body shape to some warwicks, and are very visually pleasing. www.spectorbass.com

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

That came to mind-Right now what seems somewhat similar (and affordable) is a Rebop 5, bringing me back to square one-A Cirrus 5.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Rebop 5 is a good bass. By square one do you mean you own a cirrus 5 or thats what you originally wanted? Do you still want one? What made you begin to look at things other than that?

5. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Brings me back to the Cirrus 5-I started out looking at a Bongo 5 and a Cirrus 5 and pretty much counted the Cirrus 5 out. But then the Bongo 5 disappointed, and I find myself liking a deep, woody tone ala Warwick.

6. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    i have a warwick corvette and a spector rebop 5, i love the warwick soo much more , i just love the sound of warwicks and it feels better. if you are interested, i have the spector for sale i can send you pics if your interested. how do you not like the looks of warwicks?

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    A Rebop is not gonna sound like a warwick, period. Spectors have been my staple for a few years and I really don't dig Warwick tone much- it is very different. I can't really think of anything that sound terribly similar to a Corvette or Thumb- Warwick and Spector both have distinct tones that are very different. I think the whole Streamer/NS issue has caused way too many people to lump them togather.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think they are lumped together in terms of sound, only appearence. If he is indeed locked onto the warwick tone, there is only one way to solve that; get a warwick.. BUT, i think many people who like the warwick tone will like the spector tone as well, they are different, yet similiar. (NTB, teh growlz0rz, likes warwicks and spectors)

It is an alternative with the characteristics he is looking for,

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You may want to look into a used Spector USA Bolt-on 5-string too, if it's within your pricerange. I think there is one for sale in the TB Classifieds forum right now, actually.

I find that mine can do the Warwick sound pretty well, at least to my ears.

10. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    get a Valenti with bubinga body, wenge neck, and EMG or MECs. There's your Warwick sound that would actually look good. My SX has MEC pups. It'd be like a Rockbass

11. Im a Spector man myself!! Im the opposite of most players ive met, I dislike the sound of warwicks but think they look stunning!! I'd love a Dolphin!!! really really would!!

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I disagree. They have as much common as, say a P and a J.
    Their growls are quite different. On many recordings you can easily hear the difference.

13. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    I think they are both. I love the sound and think the are absolutely gorgeous basses. Gah, if only I had 3 grand, I'd be all over a thumb 5 fretless. :bawl:

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If the Ned Steinberger shape has more appeal to you, then why not try to track down an older, used Streamer LX? NS shape, unmistakeable Warwick tone (think Stuart Zender).

(And contrary to you, I find the Corvette to have visual appeal. And lots of it :p The Infinity and Fortress look nice, as well, IMO)

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There was a shorter run of Dolphins with maple necks, called the Dolphin Pro II, IIRC. It was actually a cheaper b/o version. Also, there were a few custom ones with maple necks - I have seen 3-4 of those on eBay.de, even hough I rarely go to eBay. These had a bit different tone than the Pro Is (not as growly, cleaner).

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Used they can be had for much less ;)

17. man, i think warwicks are beautiful. nothing beats a wood finish IMO.

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No.

Figured wood, lacquered or oiled, looks even better :D

19. Dude, just play with your eyes closed. It solves any problems one might have if they don't like how their Warwick looks.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Who cares about looks

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Ray