Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick sound??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Dec 3, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey guys. I have got 2 EMG-HZ soapbars on my ESP 5-string. So-far so-good, but I wonder if something else would sound better? are there any p-ups that would give me a fatter, growlier sound? preferably with lotsObottom. Like the sound of a Warwick Thumb?

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Warwick usesbrass for the frets and wenge,a dense African wood for the necks.These plus the ample dimensions of their necks play a big part in why the Thumb sounds like it does.In other words the pickups are only part of the picture.Some Warwicks (the 6 strings I think) use Seymour Duncan Basslines PUPS,but most use MECS.

3. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    The Warwick sound comes primaraly from the wenge and ovangkol or bubinga neck, hence warwick's slogan, "The sound of wood". Also some of the tone is from the frets but they're not brass, they're a silver bronze alloy that's used in europe to make church bells. Some of the tone comes from the body wood which varies from model to model giving different models a little bit different tone. Warwick pioneered the use of wenge in necks. Wenge and ovangkol are two very dense, strong and heavy, africain hardwoods. I think warwick also puts in 2 steel reinforcement rods on either side of the trussrod, but I'm not sure. If you want to know more go to warwick's site and look at the stuff under the "about warwick section. I've found the best way to get that type of crunchy tone is to strap on a set of dean markly blue steel's, wet down the strings with cold water(wipe down your finger board and any other exposed wood so you don't wreck anything, and watch out around the electronics, or you'll short them out), and play hard! Also if you crank the midrange knob on your amp and then scoop the mids out with a graphic e.q., that'll help too, at least it does on my ampeg.

[Edited by AssMan on 12-04-2000 at 04:12 AM]